• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Toshiba 37XV555DB vs Samsung LE37A559P

MortimerJazz

Standard Member
Morning all,

I've been looking for a 37" screen primarily to show off the capabilities of the PS3. I've got a budget of £600 which I know isn't a huge amount, but I've found the above two sets and would welcome your thoughts on them.

They seem good as they come in under budget, have freeview tuners and come with Full HD which should work well with the Playstation.

As always, if anyone has any other suggestions, then I'm all ears!

Thanks alot

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
nop, it will remain that way until PS4 and X3 (~2011)

I do apologize for the use of technical terms without offering any practical explanation. So if you're not technically minded, feel free to ask me.

Most games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 are, and will be rendered in 720p primarily because it's considered to be the sweet-spot between visuals and performance. This is largely due to the limited bandwidth between the GPU and onboard RAM (128bit instead of 256/512bit). In addition, the PS3 lacks the ultra-high-speed eDRAM and the unified memory architecture of the X360, which limits its chances of rendering visually intensive games at 1080p30/60 (with stable frame rate) even further.

So the answer is no, 1080p displays are not essential for console gaming. However, 1080p displays do have their usefulness:

1. HTPC, PC Gaming and Viewing Text Based Contents
2. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and Online Media
3. Full HD Broadcasting (1080i/1080p)

Viewing distance and screen size also play a big role when choosing a panel. Also, If you're interested in purchasing a quality LCD that is 40 inches or over, then 1080p is the only choice.

MortimerJazz

Standard Member
Thanks Nielo - really appreciate the time it took you write that.

I'll be watching the screen probably from about 6 or 7ft away, and while I'll be mainly using it for gaming, I've got a few BluRay DVDs as well which will be used.

While I have been doing a lot of research into TV's recently, sometimes it's hard to make sense of all the info. It seems sensible to get a Full HD TV if I can for my budget, but are you suggeting, that I'll get better quality from the Sony even if it's not Full HD?

Cheers again,

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom