Toshiba 37WLT66 vs Samsung LE40R74BDX

Ninj

Hi all,

Really difficult to compare a 40" and a 37" but Im stuck!

Having seen them side by side in the shop I think the Samsung has the better blacks (could have been the Tosh wasnt set up right but....) and it does have the claimed 5000:1 resolution but not very much in it at all.

I also found, for the increased 3" of screen, the samsung wasnt that much bigger (certainly no taller just a bit wider).
However, I have read the Toshibas reviews and it seems it can do no wrong.
It works out at £70 more for the (non digital freeview version) Samsung.

I know the Samsung suffers from poor sound but that is no issue for me as Im using seperate sound. Its just Ive never seen a review of them both together.

Has anyone got any advice cos Im snookered, thanks in advance

Rich

Ninj

Just to add,

Im viewing the screen from around 4 feet so I dont think the 40" would be too big - it might have been easier if the Samsung had better availabilty of the 37" version :rolleyes:

Ninj

Thats what Im thinking......... anyone else?

Rgds

Richie

Ninj

Have you compared them directly Nielo TM or just a Summy man :)

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
i played witht he samsung today, and was pleased with it, however imo the Tosh is the better TV set - tho there is not a lot in it..

however if you want to use it as a monitor, or you have your component socket already reserved for a device and would need to have your xbox 360 over vga then the sammy would be the one to go for as the tosh cant do 1:1 pixel mapping at native res.

Ninj

Not too bothered about using it with the PC.

Whats your preference for the tosh based on? Looks, performance etc?

Thanks mate

Rich

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Not too bothered about using it with the PC.

Whats your preference for the tosh based on? Looks, performance etc?

Thanks mate

Rich

looks are a personal thing so i wouldnt reccomend a set on that, you can decide that yourself with a pic :)

the sound on the tosh is good, and it has more back light control than the sammy (sammy has 4 settings iirc the tosh has 100) and i felt that lowering the backlight on the sammy was more detrimental to the overall image than lowering the backlight on the tosh

the sammy remote was a little more responsive but thats no biggie for me.

now i cant say about the sammy freeview but i can say the tosh tuner is good, and picked up all channels with good or average signal strength, and considering i live in a bad area for freeview that is v good.

I have only used the sammy for 5 mins, so am more clued in on the tosh so maybe hear reasonaing from a sammy owner as to why they prefer that set :)

ps ignore the contrast ratios of the sammy. 5000:1 is pure marchitecture and isnt comparable to the more honest advertising of the tosh

Ninj

Thanks for the info. Ive not had much hands on with either of them. I was lucky enough to see them side by side and the biggest difference i saw was the blacks looked better on the Sammy but that could easily have been poor setup................blooming hard decision !

Rgds

Rich

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info. Ive not had much hands on with either of them. I was lucky enough to see them side by side and the biggest difference i saw was the blacks looked better on the Sammy but that could easily have been poor setup................blooming hard decision !

Rgds

Rich

well i can say out of the box at factory preset the tosh is rubbish.

it has 100% contrast and 100% backlight.

so had it not been setup right it may well have looked poor.

(i use 30% backlight and 60% contrast iirc so am sure you can imagine how different that is)

its ironic. i am raving about the tosh and yet i am sending mine back.... and possibly replacing with a sammy ;)

-but thats nowt to do with its performance as a tv-

Ninj

Chiswick that looks the dogs mate - I love the look of it - what size is that one?.

MikeKay - That could explain the not as great picture in the shop - I dont think they know much in my local store. How come youre sending it back?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
like i said, its a great telly but cant do 1:1 pixel mapping and so isnt so hot as a pc monitor. As you said that doesnt interest you, then that wont be an issue.

chiswick

Chiswick that looks the dogs mate - I love the look of it - what size is that one?.

Cheers mate. That's a 32" (LE32R74BDX) model. My Dad and I went out to Selfridges together and both bought one, he got the 40" though which is huge.

Ninj

Just found the Samsung for £859 without freeview (40R72BX) and £895 with freeview (73BD) from Dixons with promo codes - gotta be the deal of the day.......

Ninj

Having dug a little deeper I read of the majority of 37WLT66 having the buzzing baklight issue - that is kinda off putting

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom