Toshiba 37WLT66 Vs. Panasonic PANASONIC TH37PX60

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by ish.sharma, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ish.sharma

ish.sharma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy 37 inches flatscreen tv and was definite to go for either Tosh 37WLT66 (LCD) or Panasonic TH37PX60 (Plasma).
    yesterday, I read it in the forums that Tosh has some buzzing sound problems and Panny suffers with purple snakes.. Now I am confused....
    could you guys please suggest me which one is the best to buy?

your help will be appreciated

thanks

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    If you can, I'd recommend you go and demo both technologies. You'll have plenty of people recommend LCD over Plasma and vice-versa.

I had a Panasonic plasma earlier in the year, and while I can see why some people like them, they're just not for me. Visibility in the daytime is poor (the picture just completely washes out and loses all depth) unless you crank the contrast right up (burn-in / image retention risk) and I found motion handling to be poor. There were green trails behind lots of objects, blurring, and blue/yellow flashes onscreen with quick moving things / big contrast changes. (eg bright object moving across a dark background quickly) Apparently only a few people can see this, but it was unbearable in my opinion.

I find them rather noisy too - the larger ones have fans, and even the fanless ones have a lot of buzzing, which is something that all plasmas have due to how they work. Many LCDs will also make a noise when you turn the backlight down, but it's usually much quieter, and the majority of sets are fanless. With LCDs it's a constant noise too, which is easy to tune out, whereas Plasma changes with the brightness of the image onscreen.

While black levels are better on plasmas compared to most (not all) LCDs, the difference is not significant in my opinion, and only matters if you watch in a totally dark room. The difference between LCD and Plasma in the daytime is significant though - LCDs have a perfect image in most lighting conditions, whereas Plasmas are only good in the dark imo. There is generally a better depth to the image on Plasmas though due to the reflective screen, and (usually) better gamma. That said, I'm very happy with the depth on my WLT68, and use it in the dark all the time.

LCDs aren't perfect though - many sets don't let you adjust the backlight properly, for example. (essential for adjusting the set for a bright/dark environment) Many people find motion on LCDs to be poorly handled, but it's fine in my opinion, and better than I've seen on Plasmas. (though it does tend to "soften" a bit with things moving, but you don't really get trails behind objects on the latest panels anymore)

Colour reproduction on Plasmas is a lot more CRT-like, but good LCDs are great too, but do look a bit different. (older/poor LCDs do tend to look horrible though for colour)

I'd personally go for the Toshiba - I've not seen the 66's but I've got a 37WLT68 and it's excellent.

3. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I own both a Plasma and LCD and personally recommend Plasma for 37 and above inches. Direct sunlight as Andrew mentioned may leave the Plasma flummoxed but this isn't an issue for everyone considering the placement of the TV in their room. I have two Plasmas and it's not much of an issue. Daylight doesn't affect Plasmas really, it's mostly just -direct- sunlight.

Black levels on LCDs to my eyes simply don't rival Plasma at all. The latest Sony sets are ok but they're nowhere near a Panasonic or Fujitsu Plasma in my opinion. (I'd say Pioneer but I don't recommend them usually as the incessant image retention is really very poor form in this day and age.)

I owned a rather lovely Panasonic PV500 Plasma fairly recently alongside my PE30 Panasonic plasma. Although the picture was mostly nice (with the exception to ridiculous contrast changes), the noise it churned out was unbearable. Humming, hissing, buzzing, you name it and I got it. Some maintain they never had this or haven't got this on their PV500, which is fair enough. However I had a few parts replaced and the Plasma was still ridiculously loud. I replaced it with the PX600 and the 600 is very quiet indeed. Basically when I mute the TV and everything is dead silent, the noise I hear is a feint one... but from my Sky HD box. Not the the Plasma.

Andrew has said that he finds motion handling on LCDs *better* than Plasma... I guess that's his personaly choice as he himself concedes most people believe it's the other way around. Plasma to me handles motion almost flawlessly. My LXD52 LCD isn't too bad at all, but it needs to "warm up" a little before motion blur becomes less apparent.

Apologies if this is a little broken up, in the middle of moderating 6 pages worth of threads :rotfl:

Stu

4. ish.sharma

ish.sharma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your replies guys.... I really appreciate..

so would you recommend PANASONIC TH37PX60 then (Its a steal for £819 at JL with five years free warranty), only problem is purple snakes?

Thanks once again..

5. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I recommend the Plasma, yes. Never noticed these so called purple snakes on my PX600 which is the same panel as the 60 I believe so I can't really comment there. If it affects every single panel in the 60/600 range then I should definitely get my eyes checked asap!

I'm categorically not saying these things don't exist, just I haven't noticed them. :)

6. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I found that it didn't have to be direct sunlight. My Plasma (TH37PD60) was in the shade and when I opened my blinds, the image totally washed out unless I turned up contrast to the maximum setting. (it was normally set to around 1/3)

In general no, they don't, but Sharp's latest LCDs measure better than Panasonic Plasmas. (the rest of the image on them is far worse, but the blacks are better in a dark room)

I've not seen the 1800:1 Sony panels yet, but it would be interesting to see how they compare too.

What I mean here is that neither is perfect at handling motion (I don't think CRTs are either though) but the artefacts I see with LCDs compared to Plasma are far more bearable. I don't mind a slight softening of the image with motion compared to big ugly green streaks and blue/yellow flashes. (my PD60 also appeared to either have some sort of forced noise reduction which smeared the image with Freeview, particularly close-ups of faces, or it had response time issues)

7. CFCCFC

CFCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I looked at plasmas, but two things swayed me - the image retention/screen burn issue, and the fact that it's hard to explain, but most plasmas look kind of 'dotty' to me, and I really don't like the effect.

It's very important to go and eyeball the options, you can't buy off specs only.

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Something else to consider..............is weight, I had a look at the TH37/42PX60's in comet today. Whilst there I tried to pick up the pedestal stand, and that in itself was an effort, moving an LCD around is much easier, lcd's can also be laid flat, so any future transportation is also easier.

The TH42PX60 is £899 in comet, cheaper online if you check out the hotukdeals thread. The picture looks good instore, to me, I was tempted.

Incidently I saw the screen in PCWorld, Currys and Comet, and all the TH42PX60's looked grey compared to the other plasma's, perhaps they were set on a running in cinema type mode. It did not detact too much from the pq, but it was consistent in the 3 stores.

A friend recently brought the TH37PX60 from a Panny centre which looked good with DVD's feed from a upscaler, I played with it for a hour (no HD sources though). He had previously seen my LCD with Hi-Def feeds, and still prefered the look of Plasma. Before he brought it I trawled many stores with him and his g/f, and they always choose Plasma over lcd.......perhaps I need to try one myself, I'm just put off by the issues raised by the other poster.

My other concern affects most 37/42" Plasma's, that's the screen resolution being 4:3, those rectangular pixels just don't make sense when using a PC.

9. ish.sharma

ish.sharma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again guys, really appreciate.
    One more thing I want to ask, resolution of this plasma is 1024*768 so is it completely HD ready? Toshiba's resolution is more than Plasma's..
    How does it matter ?

10. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    If you have the room and do decide on the plasma then you may aswell go for the 42". you'll only regret it otherwise.

As for the plasma's lower resolution, I doubt it matters for tv or dvd. I've heard Higher res is better for displaying still images eg photo's etc, and i can understand that as they look fantastic on my 37wlt66.

My only concern about the tosh is the slightly uneven backlight and yes, it does buzz, but not intrusively.

11. ish.sharma

ish.sharma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I am thinking, I measured the viewing distance in my lounge yesterday and it turned out to be atleast 10.5 feet.. so hopefully it would be OK for 42 inches??