1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 37WL56

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Vulgar Fraction, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Vulgar Fraction

Vulgar Fraction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - Does anyone have any feedback on this screen?

I have seen it advertised on the web for about £1,450.

It seems to have a good spec (i.e. 37" with HDMI), yet I haven't heard
    anything about it?

Has anyone seen one in the flesh and know where I good see one in Central London?

Thanks,
    VF

2. Vulgar Fraction

Vulgar Fraction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on, someone must know something about this screen?

Thanks,
    VF

3. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a lot written about this screen over these threads, and I've written about it alot. I've had one for nearly two months and have suffered numerous problem with it. So much so the engineers have been out twice and the set is going to be replaced.

Great picture but buy a Sharp. :eek:

4. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I saw it in Currys in Edinburgh. I liked the picture which was bright and colorful. Since then I have been concerned with the reports of buzzing noises, lack of auto scart switching and reliability reported in this forum.

There is the 37WL58 being released soon (October?)which will have freeview built in and 2 HDMI inputs. Excellent if you intend to connect Sky HD and an HDDVD player. Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out before the release of the new set.

The price is pretty good for this size of set but you are left wondering as to if componant quality has been sacrifised to achive this.

5. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy X, you are right I wonder what has been left off of it?

I've heard Sharp are bringing out a new series next month, designed to work with PAL broadcasts. The screen resolution is low but it does have HDMI. May be any one thinking of buying a 37" should wait? If hi-def isn't a requirement (and HD stepped down to a lower resolution does look good) may be it would be the better way for Vulgar to go. A standard res screen designed to work with normal broadcasts should look pin sharp, I wish I had know about it a month ago.

The Tosh looks fine but I've yet to see any consistancy in them, or hear of a set which is working fine... :suicide:

6. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I am very happy with mine. I bought it having returned a Sagem Hd-D45 dlp due to several problems. I paid £1700 inc 3 year warranty from Hughes - Ipswich which is a lot more that the Internet companies but I'd rather deal with a local supplier. I am running it from a Pace freeview and Pioneer DV-868 connected via HDMI which gives an excellent picture. The only gripe I have is no auto source switching but I am used to this now so not so much of a problem. A bigger screen would be nice but thats what the projector is for!!

7. abridge

abridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 37wl56 for just about a week and very happy with it so far.No buzzing! Picture is excellent just using scart RGB from the better sky+ channels and dvd. It does show up the poorer quality of some of the sky channels. Mine does flip to the AV1 input on detection of a signal - i have only that one connected so far so dont know what it will do if there is more than one source connected. I have noticed some slight ghosting when watching footie on lower bandwidth channels such as itv2 but i seem to have been able to almost remove that by playing with the settings. Only other strange thing i have noticed so far is that the power led on the front only seems to indicate whether the mains is connected or not as it does not change when in standby or fully on!

8. prshah78

prshah78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which other 37Inc LCD would people recommend within a similar budget?

I have been looking for the "right" lcd for a while now.

Please someone advise me.

9. prshah78

prshah78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone please help on this as i want to order a LCD this weekend!

Many thanks!

:lease: :lease: :lease:

10. ljhanney

ljhanney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a 37WL56 for the last few weeks, I find the picture quality on SKY+ via RGB is excellent. DVD picture via RGB is equally excellent.

Only problem I have is that the Component to VGA connectivity was not compatible despite Toshiba saying that it is. After much investigations, Toshiba have recognised this to be a problem and are exchanging the set next week. I would have thought that all new sets supplied would have this problem resolved.

So, I personally would recommend the Tosh 37WL56. If you connecting SKY vie RGB scart, make sure that the settings on the SKY are set to RGB and "Scart Control On", tweek around with the picture and colour settings on the LCD, lower the backlight halfway down, adjust the brightness anmd contrast to your personal preference and away you go!

11. ljhanney

ljhanney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the Auto-switching - this doesn't present a problem. You can either select the "input source" button and continuously press it until you get the right input or what I do is from whatever you are watching, press the "OK" button on the remote and a list of inputs appear on the left hand side of the screen, scroll to the one you want to change to and press ok -