1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 37WL56 is LCD the best option?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I was grabbed by the ear by err indoors this afternoon and taken on a shopping trip, much against my will. Anyhow to cut a long story short, I managed to escape whilst she was looking at new dresses, and ended up sneaking into Currys to check out the latest TV’s. The first thing that caught my eye was the Toshiba 37WL56. The reason it grabbed my attention was that it was sitting between two Plasma panels, the new Viera HD Ready 500 and a Philips with Pixel Plus. I’ll cut straight to the chase here and say the PQ on the Tosh was abysmal – just like looking through oily water, even when I stepped back to view the screen from around 12 feet away. Now you could argue that the signal in places like Currys, Comet etc. is rubbish and therefore you should not try to judge a TV. under these conditions. However, the Panasonic and the Philips were receiving the same signal and the PQ on these particular panels could blow your socks off they were that good. The sales assistant even hooked up a direct feed and let me play about with the settings, however, try as I might I could make little difference. The smearing and digital artefacts are still making me feel queasy hours later. I know I am going to get howls of derision from LCD forum members, but having looked for months now at just about every screen on the market, I am fast coming round to the conclusion that with poor source material e.g. Sky, Freeview, and analogue, certainly on anything over 32” Plasma is the better option. I am not saying this to be contentious, but I don’t think LCD will truly come of age until Hi Def transmissions are the norm. So for anyone not interested in Hi Def, I would think very carefully before making that purchase

2. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    As you say it is very much down to the source. I feed my 27 model with vga and hdmi and its an amazing pic. I woulnt recommend a plasma over an lcd or a dlp as plasma prices just arent worth looking at for a high def set. Overall i think the lcd tech is amazing i have tested all number of tvs before i chose the tosh dlp and the tosh lcd and i wouldnt swap them for any other tv well maybe a 120" hd tv from japan lol.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yes, but what is it you are feeding them? I have absolutely no interest in games, I have never understood the attraction. I simply want my TV, and this may sound somewhat quirky, to be used for nothing but watching TV, and maybe the very occasional DVD, nothing else. I do not want to use it as a PC monitor, a games monitor or any other kind of monitor, but simply to watch television. Now using those strict parameters would your view of what to buy be the same (forget Hi Def also, that is until it's as cheap as chips).

4. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Stick with a crt set then mate. Crt are still the best tv for sd tv.

5. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You need to see the Tosh with a DVD input via HDMI upscaled to 720p. I think you would be very impressed with the picture. I got rid of a Sagem 45" Dlp and bought a Tosh 37WL56 LCD. It beats the sagem hands down. Its also good on freeview, the only real critisism I have is that skin tones can look a little unnatural.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    That was one of the few criticisms I had when I auditioned the Philips 9986 for a month earlier in the year. The picture was pretty passable but some of the colours especially skin did look like plastic. Will I never be able to trade up from CRT to a large panel - pretty depressing, if you ask me.