1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 37WL56 Auto Input Switching

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Apollo11, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    What is going on with modern non crt sets?? I recenty returned a Sagem HD-D45 DLP set due to several problems, not least of them was the lack of input switching when switching on a Digibox etc. I purchased a Toshiba 37WL56 LCD set last Saturday and yet again - no B**** auto input switching. I know this seems like a petty fault but I find it very annoying and if you spend the best part of 2 grand on a tv, it should work!!!!!!

The user manual suggests the set should auto switch but mine def does not. Does any one else find this really irritating??

Sorry for rambling on but Im losing patience with modern electronics!!!! :mad:

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is probably in your scart cable. All tvs I tried did auto-switching, even if I did not like it.

3. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Def. not the Scart cable, I've tried several and my old Philips crt switched perfectly. It's really annoying having to press 'Input' on the remote 4 times when wanting to switch from DVD to Freeview etc.

4. kmm

kmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    AVnut,

Just to make sure that you are talking about the same thing I am thinking of, do you mean auto switching between 4:3 and 16:9 depending on the different signal being received ?

If so, then I have the 27WL56 model and I initially had trouble with that but got it sorted. Let me know if that is what you are having trouble with.

Cheers,
    Kevin.

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think he means AV Input switching not ratio switching. :)

6. kmm

kmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Ah, sorry.

In that case, AVnut, you do know that if you hit the big OK buton on the handset a list of AV inputs appears on screen and you can scroll down to the one you need and hit the OK button again to go to it.

So to go from AV1 to AV5 you don't need to hit the input button 4 times, simply hit OK, scroll down to AV5 and hit OK again.

Kevin

7. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't that mean you have to make 6 button presses? :eek:

I picked up my 32WL56 yesterday and didn't notice any problems last night once I'd got it set up. I'll have a play with it tonight and see if I have the same problem.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It would be much easier if the TV just remembered the AV input selected when you switch of the tv.

9. kmm

kmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Yes, it might take 6 button presses but it is much quicker as the TV does not have to cycle through the individual AV inputs. Each time I press the AV input button on my WL56 it takes a good 2-3 seconds before I can press it again to go to the next AV channel.

It takes about 10 seconds to go from AV1 to AV5 via the input method, and only about 3 seconds using the AV list method.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Not really sure how to do it any differently. I have a Sky+ box on AV1, DVD player on AV2, DVD recorder on AV3, VCR on AV4, XBOX on AV5 and Roku HD1500 on VGA.

Is AVnut simply wanting the TV to automatically go to the relevant AV channel when he switches on the corresponding device ? I'm sure the way mine works is that AV1 over-rides any other channel, and as I always keep my Sky+ switched on, switching on another device has no effect.

When I switch my TV on first thing, it always goes to Sky+ (AV1).

Kevin.

10. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Kevin, thanks for info. This will be a quicker solution but my point really is that I've owned dozens of tvs in the past and it seems that newer, more advanced sets don't have auto source switching (on all three of my last tvs if I was watching a dvd and then switched the dvd player off, the tv would then select automatically whichever source was still switched on) (in this case my freeview box). The Toshiba manual does seem to suggest auto switching but this is certainly not the case. Im going to contact Toshiba and see if there's anything can be done via the service menu (if such a thing exists).

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Philips 9986 switches to a SCART source when one is switched on. When you switch on the TV while SCART sources are already on, it switches to the lowest numbered source. It does not remember the last selected source, but when you have a dvb receiver on scart 1 and a dvd on scart 2 it works fine. Switches from 1 to 2 when dvd is played, and back to 1 when it ends.

Format selection (4:3/16:9) is a different matter :-(