Toshiba 37UL863B or Panasonic TX-L37E30B ? - advice please

PhlangePhace

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As title, had one of these in mind.... went to a store and saw the other, same price.

Anyone have any thoughts? (Perhaps along the lines of "I'd steer clear of xyz straight away") ?

I'd already discounted the Sony 524 from the choice .... should I reconsider and add that back to my shortlist?

It's been so long since buying my existing LCD, that I've rather lost touch with the market,.... but as can be seen by my choice, my budget is around the £500-£650 mark and no interest in 3D.

Thanks in advance for any advice given :thumbsup:

Of the 2 I would definitely choose the Panasonic. I have seen it myself and the picture was good. It has also achieved some favourable reviews. I have yet to see a recent Toshiba in a review that has been recommended.

The reviews of UL863 series have been overwhelmingly "meh", compared to the reviews of the E30 series, which have had their ups and downs (downs meaning notably mediocre black level, which is totally typical of any IPS screen anyway). If I were you I'd be looking closely at the E30 between the two.
Now, if we were to discuss the 650-pound budget and other alternatives... (opens a big can of worms)

Of the 2 I would definitely choose the Panasonic......

..... If I were you I'd be looking closely at the E30 between the two.

Thanks both for your input. :smashin:

OK, cards on the table, it was the Panny that I went to look for, going on generally good reviews/recommendations.

The Tosh was the one that caught my eye in the store ... you see my current TV is a Tosh, costing £1600 ish a few years back, highly praised at the time, so that's why I have a slight soft spot for them ....

But if the general consensus, these days, is that the Panny is a better option out the two, then I have no allegiance to Tosh,... I'll go with whatever is best regardless of brand.

Now to see if I can get a price 'beat' at the store in question, against the lower priced Richer Sounds :rolleyes:

Having gone back to the store to take another quick look, I realised I made a little mistake.

May not affect the previous comments but thought I ought to set the record straight for anyone coming across this thread and thinking something was amiss.

The Tosh that was an equivalent price to the Panny TX-L37E30B is the 42" model, 42UL863B :facepalm:

(Easy mistake... the Tosh 42" is the same price as the Tosh 37" for some crazy reason, at the store in question)

Anyway, screen size isn't really of importance, to my choice, as 37" is ample for my room/situation.

But as can be seen by the above price anomaly.... the Tosh 42" seems a bit of a bargain (if size mattered) .... but I guess that the Panny is still the better option? Anyone else care to chip in?

Edit:- Should have googled first :suicide: first review I picked up of the Tosh "Competing TVs offer better picture quality. Weedy audio"

So thats it...the Panny it is. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I bought a Tosh 37UL863B a couple of months ago and am still impressed, I cannot get a terrestrial signal where we live so I got it for its HD Satellite tuner to supplement my SD Sky box. I don't find the sound an issue but if I want to watch big sound film they go through a Yamaha amp to a Bose system anyway.

This is my second set, after about 3 weeks I noticed about 6 black pixels in the middle of the screen had dropped out (I never even noticed them until watching rugby), Tosh said just take it back to Currys and they just swopped it there and then without even taking it out of the box never mind turning it on.

The only niggly issue I have with it is my fault, as it is only connected by Satellite the EPG doesn't populate fully, I had a chat with Tosh who say that it's the Satellite that isn't providing the info so I had a chat with Freesat who say as the TV isn't a Freesat device it won't get the Freesat EPG, what it does do is get 359 Sat channels you just select the Satellite and it collects all the free to air channels from the selected satellite, there are about 50 duplicates as the setup is national instead of regional so i can get Devons regional news if i want to in Yorkshire. The EPG doesn't bother me that much as i know when something in HD is on i want to record otherwise i just Sky+ it.

Anyone got some optimal settings? All the other TVs I have had recently were always popular on here and the settings could always be found, however this one isn't!

Anyone got some optimal settings? All the other TVs I have had recently were always popular on here and the settings could always be found, however this one isn't!
try posting in the LCD and LED LCD TVs forum this forum is for people looking for buying advice.

Curly

try posting in the LCD and LED LCD TVs forum this forum is for people looking for buying advice.

Curly

Yes, have done now. Didn't realise which forum it was in as I had done a search!

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom