• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Toshiba 37RV753 TV - how do I connect to hifi system

stanjohnston

Standard Member
I bought a Toshiba 37RV753 LCD 37"TV. I want to listen in stereo via my audio system. The manual seems to suggest that cables be connected to 'Variable Audio Out' sockets but also suggests this only applies to SL75 and WL75 models - not RV75. There are 2 sockets marked L & R on my TV, coloured the usual red and white but I can't get any output using them. I can't believe that it isn't possible on this Tv - my old TV had such a facility. What am I missing? Stan

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Look carefully at the sockets...is there an icon legend next to them with an outward-pointing arrow?
If so they are outputs...and should work, check your user manual or setup menu under sound.
if the arrow is inward-pointing they're inputs.

peahead

Prominent Member
Hi

Are the red and white audio sockets in the component input section the ones with green/blue/red if they are they are not outputs but inputs so you will not get any sound from them.

peahead

Prominent Member
Hi

Just checked the toshiba website and it says the red and white sockets are for Analogue Audio Input not audio output.

The only audio output is this model is optical output.

stanjohnston

Standard Member
Many thanks to all who replied. I can now see that what I assumed were outputs, were inputs. The only socket which shows the 'arrow pointing out' appears to be the 'digital audio out', in the manual desriped as 'optical digital audio out'. One last question - what type of connector do I need for that? Currently I have a cable which has the res and white jacks at each end, though at the hifi end I have an adaptor to allow them to fit the MP3 in socket on my hifi. I assume I need a completely new cable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks. Stan

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You would need an optical to optical lead but you need to check if your audio amp has an optical in socket first.
If not you would need a digital optical to analogue stereo audio convertor (small adaptor box) or do as I suggested and use a scart to stereo phono lead.

transwest

Established Member
I just tried the same thing with my bedroom 32XV505 (speaker rattle)
Like you, I didn't get anything from the TV sockets, but I can't in to see if they are in/out, but I am now assuming they are 'in'.
It also has a headphone socket,,,,, which has just gotta be 'out', but again, nothing. When I inserted the stereo plug into the TV, it didn't cancel the audio.

Is there a Scart to audio red/white adapter, if not which 3 pins do i use in the scart ?
Yep - tons of adapters out there, though most of them have the video plug as well.

cheers

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
It also has a headphone socket,,,,, which has just gotta be 'out', but again, nothing. When I inserted the stereo plug into the TV, it didn't cancel the audio
It's designed not to mute the speakers.
You probably had no sound because there is a separate headphone volume slider within the sound menu.
Advance it to the RHS and store the setting.

transwest

Established Member
cooooo,,,,, hope I haven't taken up the guys time !
Mind you, it's a good job people know about my old telly !:clap:

PEAHEAD: When you say you looked on the Tosh website, where do you look for such info please ?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom