• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Toshiba 37RV635D OR Samsung LE37B550 OR LG 37LH4000

Gloves.UK

Standard Member
Hi,

I've been reading the forums here for a few days while researching which TV to buy, and they've been very helpful.

I'm at the stage where I've got it narrowed down to these 3 options:
Toshiba 37RV635D
Samsung LE37B550
LG 37LH4000

The LG is the only model I've actually been able to see, I've seen variations on the other two, ie AV365 or B650 but not the exact models. The LG is therefore the leading contender, but I'd like to get some feedback from owners of the Toshiba or Samsung or from anyone who has seen any of those models side-by-side.

I've read the LH4000 owners forum too, and the general rating is very positive. I also like the fact that divx playback from a USB drive can be enabled in the LG and Samsung via the service menu. Does the Toshiba do anything similar?

The LG is about £90 more than the Toshiba - is that worth it? One of the main differences seems to be that the LG has 100Hz - but that seems to have mixed results anyway from reading the owner's forum.

The Toshiba has Resolution+ for improving SD content, which will probably account for most of its use, at least initially - how effective is that? Does it make it a better buy than the other two?

Btw, I live in Bournemouth and haven't found any retailers with a large selection of TV's, and none that I've found had them calibrated properly - so if anyone can recommend a good shop in this area it would be greatly appreciated. (I've tried Richer Sounds).

Well, I hope I'm not asking for too much here! :D

My wife has told me next time she'll pick the new TV - based on looks!

Thanks
Gloves

S Bibby

Hi,
Hi,

I've been reading the forums here for a few days while researching which TV to buy, and they've been very helpful.

I'm at the stage where I've got it narrowed down to these 3 options:
Toshiba 37RV635D
Samsung LE37B550
LG 37LH4000

I've read the LH4000 owners forum too, and the general rating is very positive. I also like the fact that divx playback from a USB drive can be enabled in the LG and Samsung via the service menu. Does the Toshiba do anything similar?

The LG is about £90 more than the Toshiba - is that worth it? One of the main differences seems to be that the LG has 100Hz - but that seems to have mixed results anyway from reading the owner's forum.

Well, I hope I'm not asking for too much here! :D

My wife has told me next time she'll pick the new TV - based on looks!

Thanks
Gloves

Well one thing you shouldn't discount is that the new LGs (the LH3000 and 4000 at least) have a response time of 3ms and to my eyes are very smooth. Also they use an IPS-type panel which is probably the best for viewing angles. IMO at most viewing angles these sets are good and that is one reason why I considered buying one. Some reviews and members here seem to think LG has lower quality in the blacks than the others you have mentioned but I haven't noticed this much. It's really down to what you like the look of, I wouldn't get hung up on the calibration stuff. I did tend to think the LG was a little grey but that's what happens when people put ideas into your head! But honestly it is a tidy set for the money - and as far as 100hz is concerned I think it is an important feature, especially for film. For the price of the LGs with this feature I wouldn't discount it.

The Toshiba XV has 100hz but I wasn't that impressed with it (it was OK but a noisy picture), bear in mind that model in 32 inch was selling in Richer Sounds for £350 recently, and that was for a 1080p panel. Compare that with the 32 inch Sony W5500 with the same spec (100hz) for £700. I think it all depends on how much you are willing to pay and I suppose some will favour certain manufacturers but there isn't that much difference in quality/reliability these days - best look for a decent warranty though.

Edit: As far as USB connection on the TV is concerned - I don't think that matters much, you would probably be better off with a DVD player with the same feature like the Pioneer and Onkyos. Certainly I wouldn't put it high up in the list of priorities but heck, if it isn't costing you then its a fairly useful thing to have.

Cheers, Simon

Last edited:

_radditz_

Standard Member
Gloves, what did you buy in the end? what is the quality like?

Can anyone else give their opinions on the tv's mentioned above? I'm in the same position.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom