Toshiba 37RV635

bone06

Standard Member
Hello all. Just got the Toshiba 37RV635 and loving it. I have it hooked to my ps3 and watch a lot of SD material on freeview. Has anyone got the calibration settings for 1. ps3 gaming, 2. Blueray viewing 3. Freeview (SD).
Kind regards:)

jpmatrix

Standard Member
I bought that TV about 4 weeks ago and it was terrible.

Blacks were grey, the picture was dull and worst of all there was alot backlight bleeding. Even on dynamoc mode it looked dull and when watching transformers in cinema mode, the desert scene looked so dull, SD was ok. got rid of it and exchanged it for a samsung le40b530. A far superior tv in comparison.

bone06

Standard Member

Blacks were grey, the picture was dull and worst of all there was alot backlight bleeding. Even on dynamoc mode it looked dull and when watching transformers in cinema mode, the desert scene looked so dull, SD was ok. got rid of it and exchanged it for a samsung le40b530. A far superior tv in comparison.

I think thats just your tv. I was thinking of rhe sammy also but went with the toshy. I would admit the blacks seemed better on the sammy but factory settings do not show the true potential of the tv. Very happy with my toshy so far

davidcharles

sounds to me like u had a poor set, if blacks were grey and it had bleed then obviously it wasn't quite right....shame...

dynamic mode normally makes your eyes bleed so definately a bad panel....

..although, i have found recent toshiba's do need more calibrating than most...out of the box they don't quite have the punch of other sets but after a calibration look much , much better...i was slightly disappointed with my xv out of the box but after a basic calibration and setting up various inputs, the PQ is absolutely superb...

back to the original question...even a basic calibration with a thx optimiser off a starwars/disney dvd will help set black levels and contrast, that may be all u need....

Joe Scaramanga

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but this eemed a good general RV635 thread so...

I got the 37" this week, and love it. I've not noticed any of the black issues that people have complained about.

I do have one issue though, and that is the constant buzzing/humming sound that mine emits.
It's barely noticeable, except when you turn the sound off.
I read on an XV635 thread that this is the backlight making this noise. That can't be right, surely?
It is the sound I woulsd expect a TV to make when it's about to die. Has anyone else noticed this or should I take it back?

Thanks

olliegibo

Standard Member
I have also recently purchased this set and have mixed feelings.

My xbox and upscalling dvd work perfectly and am very pleased with the picture quality. Last week I upgraded to sky hd and although the hd channels look great, the sd channels look very poor, much worse than my old sky+ box.

Have any of you guys had a similar problem?

Joe Scaramanga

I have also recently purchased this set and have mixed feelings.

My xbox and upscalling dvd work perfectly and am very pleased with the picture quality. Last week I upgraded to sky hd and although the hd channels look great, the sd channels look very poor, much worse than my old sky+ box.

Have any of you guys had a similar problem?

I can't agree to be honest.
I found the SD quality to be fine.

But the Xbox did it for me... wow!

gavod84

Standard Member
is it rue that this tv his now way of connecting to an external sound system?? eg surround sound set up?

bone06

Standard Member
is it rue that this tv his now way of connecting to an external sound system?? eg surround sound set up?
Yep, My connections
Surround system: Sony HT-FS3
Connect TV-SS via optical for normal tv viewing eg freeview
PS3 & V+ HD connected via hdmi to SS to TV,
Simples:smashin:

gavod84

Standard Member
thanx,

is it a tv worth buying? its only for gaming with my ps3 and watching bluray's. its on play.com for £399.

bone06

Standard Member
thanx,

is it a tv worth buying? its only for gaming with my ps3 and watching bluray's. its on play.com for £399.
would defo recommend, got it for the same reasons and for that price its a winner. Got the 37" from dixons for that price too

piggeh

Standard Member
Is it in stock anywhere? Ordered from play last week - they delivered yesterday with a giant crack in the screen and 10 days to replace. Cant find it for £400 and in stock elsewhere though.

(for anyone that didnt order last week play now charging £500, meh).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom