1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP48P help!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ToshTV, Jan 19, 2005.

1. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning guys

This is my first post on this forum, which I have found to be very helpful and informative so far!

On the strength of the good feedback, I took delivery of the Toshiba 36ZP48P yesterday (funny delivery story below).

It is great! However, at the edges of the bottom left and top right of the screen have quite a marked green tint to them on all sources. The installation guys assured me this wasn't uncommon, and would improve over time.

I left the TV on through the night last night, and the problem only seems to have slightly improved. So - a few questions (I did my best to search the forums for the answers first):

a) Were the installation guys speaking rubbish, and should I return the TV?;

b) Will it get better with time? Should I leave the TV on for a long period to run in, or off for a long period?; and

c) Is there a quick way to fix this via the service menu or similar?

Many thanks for any help, as I am having a "movie night" at my house tonight for some friends, and am going to look a bit foolish with my screen the way it is!

Funny delivery story

Some other delivery guys brought the set on Monday. They pulled up in the van, rang the bell, and said they couldn't take it out of the van.

I asked why not, and they pulled out a Health and Safety manual
    from the van and said it was too heavy.

No amount of coaxing would get them to even lift it.

I found the whole situation so amusing I couldn't get annoyed.

Cheers guys

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, sounds like you may have a problem with 'purity' on your screen - due possibly (hopefully!) to the set being subjected to a magnetic influence. A few things to try - make sure nothing that containing anything magnetic is placed near the set. Keep the set well away from large steel radiators (they are a classic sourses of magnetism). Slightly repositioning the set may improve matters (particularly if you rotate it through 180 degrees etc -all to do with the Earth's magnetic field - east/west orientation is considered best for a domestic tv but obviously it depends on your front room! The set has an internal de-magnetising circuit (called a de-gaussing circuit) which is activated every time the set is switched on from cold - you can usually hear it working when you switch the tv on - there's often an unsettling 'thump' or 'loud buzz' when the tv is switched on. This circuit ONLY operates when the tv set is switched on from COLD - , so switch the tv set on - leave it on for a minute and then switch it off using the mains on/off switch. Let the set 'cool down' for 15 minutes then repeat. Try this as often as you like - you are not harming the set and HOPEFULLY the magnetism that has been induced into the set may be erased. The delivery guys weren't talking rubbish - sets can often pick up magnetism during shipping/storage - let's hope that's the case with your problem. Regards, yt.

3. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic - many thanks for your quick response - I will try this tonight.

4. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning guys

I tried degaussing the TV by switching it off then on again several times (with suitable delays to allow the TV to cool down). I also tried the hairdryer technique.

However, the bottom left and top right of the screen still have quite marked green areas (when displaying the blue screen) and other discolourations when other colours are displayed. This is about a 2 inch by 8 inch patch at the bottom left, and a 4 inch by 8 inch patch at the top right.

I took delivery of the TV on Tuesday. I was wondering if:

a) I am being too hasty (as usual) and the problem will get better with time;

b) I should get an engineer round; or

c) I should send it back.

Any help gratefully received!

5. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Send it back and ask for a replacement. The longer you keep it, the more you will be seen to have accepted the TV and will find it more difficult to reject at a later date.

6. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers

I have an engineer coming out on Monday with his degaussing wand - so I will give that a bash first.

If not - looks like I have to lift the swine thing again!

7. paul738

paul738
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the same problem a few eyars ago with a Sony tv, was told it was probably caused by having speakers too close to the screen (even though the tv was supposed to be shielded i believe?). not sure how true this was but fella came with his degaussing stick thing and it didnt sort it, they eventually replaced the tv and i moved the speakers a little furtehr away just in case. not a problem since.

8. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Fingers crossed. I don't have any speakers or radiators near the TV - so hopefully once he waves his magic wand all will be well!

9. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I think you're doing the right thing by giving them the chance to cure your problem - Monday's not too long to wait is it. Let us know how you get on. Regards, yt.

10. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had this sort of problem on a few TV's and all needed to be replaced due to the fact the tube had 'gone'. All the TV's were like this on arrival and it looked like they had been transported incorrectly and the shadow mask or something else inside the tube had moved causing this problem.
    No amount of degausing with the wand could cure them, but it was fun pretending to be Luke Skywalker with his lightsaber in front of the TV ;)

But to put your mind at ease my second Tos 36zp48p was delivered and it was spot on, only requiring the usual contrast and brightness adjustments.

11. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning guys

The engineer came round today with his wand. The problem is 95% cleared up - still a very slight green taint to the corners - but the good news is they are replacing the TV next Monday.

Thanks a lot for all your help and suggestions.

12. paul738

paul738
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  13. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Yes. They're both the new (ish) PF3 models.

14. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Brookesie

Brookesie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I've had my Toshiba 36ZP48P for a number of years now and its been perfect until the last few months when it was first turned on in the morning it was strippie but now the colours gone all polarized.
    Any ideas?

16. MidnightOwl

MidnightOwl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5