1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP48 Set up

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by goffy1, Oct 6, 2005.

1. goffy1

goffy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have recently purchased a Toshiba 36ZP48 but am having a few problems connecting it to the rest of my equipment. The TV has 3 scarts (2RGB), component video input, coaxial and optical inputs. I have a Panasonic DVD, JVC vcr and Sony SKY box. The connection diagram only covers decoder and vcr. The component video and optical/coaxial inputs have completely thrown me. Any advice on how to put this lot together would be most welcome. Thanks in anticipation.

2. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

First of all the coaxial and optical sound connections wont mean anything unless you have a surround sound amp.

First of all get a component cable (3 rca cable coloured Red Green Blue) and connect this between your DVD player (if it has this connection) to your TV. You should go into the set up of your DVD player and make sure it is set up for this. Your manual should show you how to do this.

Next take a scart cable and connect this to the TV input on your sony sky box and connect it to av1 or ext1 on your tv, you will now have RGB quality pictures from sky.
    To tape from Sky connect another scart from the vcr scart on your sky box and connect this to your video.

Everything should be ok now and you still have one free rgb connection on your tv. :D

3. Tosher

Tosher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ZP48 has an inbuilt surround sound amp.

Component video and optical/coax digital audio are the best method for connecting current DVDs to this TV.
    To make full use of this you need to connect your DVD player to the TV by using either an optical lead or a phono cable. (A normal phono to phono video/audio lead will suffice for this). Which lead you use is dictated by the DVD player as not all players have both optical and coax output.
    Then connect a component lead between the DVD and TV and wire in all the speakers. If you player does not output component(most newer models do) then the next best thing is a full RGB SCART to EXT1 or EXT2.
    Using the TV menu go to 'AV Connection' and set the relavent digital input (D1 is optical and D2 is Coax) to EXT4 for component input from DVD or EXT1 or 2 for SCART.
    If you're not used to surround sound when watching DVDs then prepare to be impressed. This set does sound pretty good.:thumbsup:

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Sorry, as Tosher said, I forgot this was the Tosh TV that comes with surround sound system. I would still consider getting your own amp and speakers as the sound will be even more impressive and powerful.

5. goffy1

goffy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys. I'm new to this AV stuff so any info from people who know what they're talking about is most welcome. Thanks again.

6. gmckean

gmckean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I've just bought one of these sets and I've a question about the surround sound. I've just attached the left and right speakers at the moment but I'm not getting any sound out of them.

Do they only work with DVD's? I've connected my DVD to the EXT2 scart socket. Should I also get sound out of them when watching SKY - this is connect via a SCART to EXT1?

You advices would be appreciated.