Toshiba 36zp48 screen problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by slybri, May 24, 2005.

1. slybri

slybri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all I hope you can help me I had my toshiba for a couple of month now and I am very happy with it but recently ive notice a red stain appearing in the top left hand corner of the screen, this is only noticable on white backgrounds, I have since moved my external speaker to see if it the cause of the problem but I would have expected the speakers to be shielded.Has anyone else had this problem? I still think it has the best pq of any tv ive seen so any suggestions would be appreciated. :lease:

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Slybri,

As you've realised, what you describe is a classic impurity problem caused by a stray magnetic field. :mad:

It's probably the loudspeaker, but are there any other large metal objects (radiator, perhaps) nearby?

Having removed the source, you now have to de-gauss the tube. :lesson:

This should happen when you switch on from cold, although it may take several goes.

Alternatively, use of a de-gaussing tool may be necessary.

(Some people use a hair-dryer! :eek:

Can't comment on this method,
    as TG has no use for one. :rotfl: )

Good luck. :smashin:

3. slybri

slybri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only speakers next to the tv are the ones supplied by the manufacturer,do you think I will be able to claim on the warranty if this problem doesnt go away?

4. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get it looked at or changed under warranty, especially as it is only a month old.

Spok.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    As tight git has said, it looks like the screen needs to degauss its self.
    When the tv comes on from cold you should hear a low bassy ping type sound. This is the sound of the tvs own degasser. If it is not working, unplug the tv and then try again after a couple of hours. It may take 3 or 4 attempts to sort it out though.
    Alternatively if this fails, contact the place of purchase and get them to have a look under the warranty.

6. slybri

slybri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys ive moved the speaker but still the problem exists the next step is contact the place of purchase I will let you know the outcome.

7. slybri

slybri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had the engineers out and they tried degausing the screen with no effect the told me they need to replace the tube.Should I let them replace the tube or insist they replace the tv?

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, if they couldn't get rid of it by using an external degaussing tool then the 'basic' purity adjustments of the crt need to be re-adjusted - it doesn't need a new crt. A simple job (in fact best carried out in situ). Obviously, not a DIY job but since its under guarantee 'go with the flow' and let them change the crt. If you're subsequently not happy insist they replace the telly. (I'm sceptical that they'll change the crt even if they say they will/have) regards, yt.

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmm,i would demand a new TV-if you accept the repair you then limit your power of rejecting the goods if it all goes pear shaped. There really is no reason for a new tube as has already been stated,this would make me very wary of their repair skills!!

10. slybri

slybri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A company called DBS service center came out to look at the tv my daughter was in at the time and she had to loan the guys a phillips screw driver to get the back off the tv (doesnt boost my confidence) also had to loan them a torch to get the serial number,I spoke to them today and they tell me that they have informed Empire direct that the tube needs replacing and they are waiting for a reply to see if they replace the tube or the TV, I hope its the TV as I dont have much faith in the engineers,I will let you all know what happens, thanks for the comments.