1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP48 - Failed: Flashing Green Timer

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MrPasty, Sep 26, 2005.

1. MrPasty

MrPasty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switched on 8 months old 36ZP48 today. Blue screen; will not display any picture or even menus / volume bar. After about 30 secs it shuts down, leaving the green front panel timer light flashing. Tried powering up again with the same results, this after unplugging from mains and waiting for > 1 hour. Any suggestions? :(

I've been told by the supplier (national high street chain who also do online sales) to expect to wait 2 days for their engineer to contact me to arrange a date he will visit. 2 days to wait to *book* a callout!! They wouldn't speculate on how long the delay will then be for him to actually visit, but did say he would have a long way to come, so I'm not optimistic.

If he cannot fix the set they will swap for another, but they don't do the 36ZP48 any more, in fact they don't do 36" CRT's any more and only do two 32" neither of which are anything like the same spec. Gutted. Not sure about my rights here. Any advice appreciated.

2. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its broke.
    Its under warranty. They will repair it free of charge. Just have to wait your turn.

3. MrPasty

MrPasty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's not what they said. They said the engineer would 'look at it' and if he could not repair the fault then they would exchange. The engineer is *not* a Toshiba engineer. Hence my asking what my rights are.

4. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If they can't fix it or it costs more to fix than replace they should replace it - if they're saying they can't replace it because they don't stock that model anymore, find somewhere that does and give 'em the details and price. Or get them to refund you and get a PF3 somewhere else - they're still stocked in plenty of places and you'll get some pocket change.

5. MrPasty

MrPasty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. My concern is that as the set is 8 months old can the retailer insist that I take a different model from them rather than they give a refund? They no longer do the PF3, in fact they no longer do Tosh at all. :(

6. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I suppose they could say they're providing something of near identical spec, but if they're offering you 32" CRTs that's obviously not like-for-like. If it's unfixable I'd get a refund (which they should offer you if they can't supply a replacement - I'd get very annoyed indeed if they tried to fob me off with an inferior product) and buy a PF3 elsewhere - as I said, you should come out with some cash in hand, considering how big CRTs have dropped in price.

7. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe they can't force you to take an equivalent model. You could use the opportunity to swap it with a more expensive or better model. Other than that you should expect a refund. However, they will get it sent off to Tosh for repair or get a Tosh engineer sent round. You're rights are clear. Any consumer goods should work for a "reasonable" period. Eight months is not a reasonable period for a new TV. This is independent of any warranty you may have. However, although you can pin them to a repair, you can't pin them on the time it takes. If the TV needs to be sent away you could be without it for a couple of weeks. However, a Tosh engineer should just arrange a new one direct from Tosh if the retailer is incapable (if he can't fix it on site).

8. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I've never had a Tosh engineer sent round (for a Tosh product) - it was always some local sub-contractor with clear instructions from the retailer as to how to fob off most cheaply and efficiently.

9. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The retailer is bound to take the cheapest approach for them initially. Most problems are simple ones. It's a matter of one step at a time. But if you know you have a definite fault then you must be prepared to be insistent and not let yourself be fobbed off. They will certainly try it on, normally with the old "That's normal for this TV" line. My normal response to that begins with the word b*ll*cks and continues from there.

10. MrPasty

MrPasty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any engineer that tries to fob me off that an inability to display any picture at all is "within tolerance" will get an interesting reply. :D

Mind you, seeing an engineer at all would be welcome. Reported the total failure of the set on Monday but I still don't even have an appointment date for an engineer to visit. :thumbsdow

11. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a bummer :(

When I turn my TV off and see and hear that picture implode in a flash of white light it makes me shudder. All that discharge close to sensitive microprocessor technology. Yikes! I'm hardly surprised that large CRTs develop faults after only short periods of use.

Couple this with transportation, handling and storage costs, and it is no wonder that CRT technology will be gone in a few years.