Toshiba 36ZP48 delivered today. Very pleased

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Hodman, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After months of deliberating between plasma panels, back projection tv's and crt, I made my choice.
    A brand new Toshiba 36ZP48 was delivered today and after much struggling with the huge box it came in, we have it on our tv cabinet fully wired and working.

After going through the tuning process (a real breeze) I quickly reduced the contrast to around 65 and settled down to an evening of viewing.

Geometry: very good. Horizontally images are perfectly level as are all vertical lines.

Definition: First class. Cycled through a variety of different feeds (dvd's via component, Terrestral via RGB, Satellite (not sky) via RGB and every image looks very much like a painting on my wall.

Sound: Wow! I haven't wired the surround speakers yet but the bass ... oh the bass on this tv is awesome. In fact, this set basic sound system is so good I'm contemplating re-assigning my Yamaha Dolby Digital amp to other duties.

Colour Purity: Extremely clean. No patches, blotches or any other odd colour stains to speak of.

Auto aspect: It doesn't alway get it right but I can live with it. This is my first widescreen tv so I need to get used to these sets peculiarities.

I purchased the set from Unbeatable for £879.98 + £27.50 delivery.
    Couldn't be happier.

Reason for choosing a 36" crt?
    Well, I really needed a TV to perform well whatever is thrown at it (Analogue, terrestrial, satellite, Video tapes ....... as well as DVD's).

From what I've seen of all other technologies (especially at 42" and above), although excellent with feeds such as DVD's, they struggle somewhat with lesser signals. They simply end up amplifying low bit rate artifacts to the point where some broadcast's become unwatcheable.

So, until High Def becomes widespread, a 36" CRT will do me fine.

2. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I received my 36pz48 today, and , I have to admit that I am so far disappointed.
    When i watched Sky (Will Sky+ provide a better picture?) I had images that looked pretty pixelated... like freeview on bad reception.
    Terrestrial TV didnt look great either (though It looked fine on my smaller Sony), and the Xboxs initial impression was a lot better, but not as good as hoped.
    I also tried my Pio DVD, which looked a lot cleaner than Sky, but again, not as good as hoped, or as good as it does on my old TV...
    However... I have already ordered decent RGB scarts.. because I am currently viewing through very cheap scart leads.. and I am hoping that this will be why the DVD looked like it was missing definition... and why Sky looked horrible...
    The other worry is that it is something to do with the computer processing of the images.. and that it may not like non perfect feeds..
    I have what must be a 34" Ferguson (not widescreen) and that gives amazing quality on everything I use it for..
    Can somebody please reassure me that when I upgrade my cables..I will start to see the quality that I have paid for??
    Also, Is there anything else I can do to improve my Sky clarity??
    PS>. I have fiddled with the settings on the Tosh to improve things.. but with limited success...

3. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here are the steps I've taken so far to get the best out of my Tosh:

1) Reduce contrast to around 60
    2) Increased Brightness to around 60
    3) Switched DNR off.
    4) Switched Black Stretch off
    5) Bought some decent scart leads from Argos (the flat cable variety)
    6) Activated RGB output on my Pioneer freeview box and the same on my SAT box (I don't have SKY).

7) Connected both units to my Sony DVD recorder and the Sony to the TV via a single lead to scart inputs 1 (which is RGB capable).

Colour is at 50 (default) and sharpness is + a few notch from the middle.

To my eyes, I have a near perfect image quality.

4. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By the way, I set the scan mode to Natural.

My DVD recorder has component outputs but I don't like the flicker it generates.

I found RGB with scan mode on Natural gives the best picture quality.

Be sure you set your DVD player (and all other equipment) to output whatever you set your TV to receive.

5. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Cheers.. I have tried changing the settings on the DVD , SKY etc... and havent had too much luck still yet. I am really hopeful that decent RGB scarts will make all the difference.
    Just got to wait for them to turn up :(

6. TheBaron

TheBaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Congratulations, mine is arriving Friday. :clap:

Can I just ask how you wired it up please ?

I have a Toshiba SD510e DVD player, was going to use component video leads plus an optical connector, I assume this is better than Scart,

so which Optical ? Toslink or Coaxial ?

I have a Thompson DHD4000 Freeview box/hard disc recorder, SCART lead to Scart Socket 1 ?

I have a choice of a Panasonic SV-NJ220 VHS player or a Panasonic F55 VHS, was going to SCART lead to SCART 2 on the TV.

No sky boxes or consoles :)

I have an assortment of leads and need to work out whats missing and buy tommorow.

Thanks all in advance :thumbsup:

7. MidnightOwl

MidnightOwl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Possibly wrong forum. I am trying to connect Tosh SD240E to Tosh zp48.

Dithering about where to buy component leads: :rolleyes:

Either go for a non-branded @ £12.51:

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=133&products_id=883

Or 2004 QED award winner @ £39.95:

http://www.hifi4less.com/QED_Qunex_P_CV1_Component_Cable.htm

Or Branded but cheap Profigold:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV332.html

As well as the component lead I will need a sound feed and have pretty much decided on the digital coax cable by Profigold (previous award winner) @ £9.99:
    :confused:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGD481.html

Any recommendations or comments on the above selection will be welcomed (esp if its worth paying for QED component leads or the low cost variety).

M :cool:
    PS: Hodman .. wots this annoying flicker you mentioned?

8. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Sony GRX3 DVD Recorder only outputs Coaxial so this is what I'm using (Ext 2 on the tv). I connected the tv to my two existing rear speakers and flicked the switch at the back of the tv to Internal. This uses the tv internal speakers to generate the central and front left/right sound. The two rear speakers come alive automatically when required. Perfect.

Here is how I connected my equipment:

A) RGB scart from my Sat receiver (not SKY) to the VCR scart on my Pioneer freeview box.

B) RGB scart from the TV out of the Pioneer to the RGB Scart 2 of the Sony DVD Recorder.

C) RGB Scart 1 from the Sony to RGB Scart 1 of the Toshiba.
    Note that my Pioneer freeview two rear scarts and the Sony two scarts are able to loop scart signals even when on standby. This means I only use ONE scart socket on the toshiba to connect three pieces of equipment. Everything works like a dream.

My scart leads are the flat cable type which you can get in Argos (they currently do two varieties). They are RGB wired and each wire is individually shielded. Anything above that I consider a waste of money.

Tried using Component but didn't like the flicker it generates.
    Natural scan mode seems to work best .... excellent images and NO flicker.

9. Moksha

Moksha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So did mine and am more than pleased.......

10. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry to hear your dissapointed. I got mine yesterday (Wednesday) and I'm very pleased with it. I was'nt able to compare cheap with expensive cables but I am pleased with the cables I have bought:

Sky+ to Ext1 using IXOS XHT601-075 Scart
    DVD to Ext4 using IXOS XHV704-100 Component

These cables cost approx. £62 from tvcables.co.uk

I decided to buy decent video cables and the cheapest audio cables because the video is far more important to me. DVD pq is excellent. Some Sky channels are not great (low bitrate) but I'm perfectly happy with the movie channels and BBC1,2 ITV etc. (through Sky)

Hope things improve.

11. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Cheers....
    I ordered some better quality leads from cableuniverse yesterday afternoon, but selected royal mail delivery .. 3-5 days :(
    But.. they turned up at 7.30 as i was leaving for work..
    So will see how it changes things when I get home in the afternoon.
    This was the TV for my parents lounge... which is why Im concerned... as they watch Sky a lot more than DVDs..
    The 2nd comes today for my room. I use that for DVD's... and XBOX.. with a bit of Sky via a wireless sender... So im sure the PQ for me will be better the majority of the time..
    Will let you know.
    Glad that everyone else is happy with what they received.
    Also.. the stand that came with it was labelled as 36ZP46..
    Was the stand never updated?? Or did they send the old 1 in error??
    Cheers

12. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My stand was labelled the same. The only difference between the ZP48 and 46 is Dolby Digital, in all other respects the TV's are the same and so I believe are the stands. We have'nt got old stands, I'm sure about that. I have two work colleagues who bought this TV last year, they have the same stands.

How close are you (or your parents) viewing the TV. I am at 9.5ft and to be honest I would not want to be any closer for viewing Sky or Terrestrial.

13. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I think they are about 8.5ft away. So a bit borderline.. but seemed a better deal than going for a 32.

However, With the bigger TV, they can now rearranage their lounge.. which will actually create a lot more space... and will give them a better viewing position and more optimal distance..
    b4.. they were 2 far away unless they arranged the room a certain way
    plenty of tinkering ahead..
    will all be worth it in the end :thumbsup:

14. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got mine on Wednesday, an excellent buy for £799.

My only comment is that getting a good picture on terrestrial and sky is a bit of a fiddle.

I eventually got it about right by
    reducing the Contrast to 60
    Brightness to 60
    Sharpness to about -11.
    Scan mode Natural
    DNR Off
    Black Stretch Off

The Sharpness particularly seems to have a fairly detrimental effect when too high.

Rigged up the speakers and I've got to say the sound is great. I stuck in various reference DVD's (SPR, DD/DTS Demo disc) and the directional capabilities and volume of the speakers is really good.

Good enough in fact that I intend to live with it for a while until I decide whether I really need a Canton 2.22 system!

I intend to sell my Denon amp and ALR/Jordan kit as it no longer fits the lounge.

I'd appreciate any other tweaks anyone can put my way.

15. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where from?

16. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There was a John Lewis pricematch going around (detailed in another thread) but it's finished for now at least..