1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP48 & connections

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tregoni, Nov 4, 2004.

1. tregoni

tregoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help - I am a novice.
    I have just received the 36ZP48 together with the Toshiba SD340 - which I will hopefully set up when I get home tomorrow. I understand that I need to connect the DVD player via component cable and optical cable to acheive better pictures and dolby digital. However, I have an old sky digibox (Pace), I will be connecting this to the TV via a scart lead - will this give me dolby pro-logic or do I need to connect another cable. Any help would be very much appreciated - thanks.

2. rob27

rob27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No idea mate, im a virgin at this as well. sorry doesnt help. Anyone else.

3. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Welcome to the forums, tregoni. :)

The scart lead will give you Dolby Pro-Logic. ;)

4. tregoni

tregoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks ddlooping.

5. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're welcome. :)

6. tregoni

tregoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now set up the tv and the PQ from both sky (old Pace model) and dvd player are excellent. At the moment sky and dvd are connected by a scart cable. Dolby pro logic is very good from the dvd player, however, when watching sky movies, there is some centre channel (dialogue) coming through the surround speakers and this dialogue sounds as if the person is speaking underwater (ie distorted) - this can only be heard very close up to the speakers. Can someone tell me if this is normal for sky?

7. red111

red111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    picture frame 3? then hook up your dvd player with component connections. the 340 outputs progressive scan. there is a setting in the menu of the tv that will allow a progressive scan signal. the picture will be brill. get yourself a coaxial cable and route the sound from your dvd to the tv via this cable. this allows your dvd player to output dolby digital sound ie 5.1. ive got the picture frame 2 hooked up like this and it is really impressive. i hooked up my x box via rgb scart and optical cable and this allows my x box to produce a brill picture and 5.1 sound.

hope this helps.

8. tregoni

tregoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks RED111 - that's exactly what I intended to do with the dvd player, however, my problem is with the sound from the sky box when in dolby pro-logic mode (see previos post). The supplier has said that this is normal from sky - does anyone know if this is true?

9. treboro

treboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tregoni....

Sorry to be the one that brings more questions instead of clear answers....

Dolby Pro-Logic, is basically a special way to encode 4 channels into a stereo signal. So if you have a pro-logic decoder it takes this stereo signal and extract two aditional channels that are otherwise in-audiable and sends these too a front center and rear centre channel. (or rear left and right, the rear two channels are mono and reduced frequency range, as is the front contre channel, versions of the full audio....) SO remember pro-logic is not clear cut 4 channel sound liek dolby digital... The extra channels are "derived" using aucustical modeling techniques, so people without pro-logic don't hear rubbish with NO decoder! It's the same source sound, just one is processed to create these extra two channels!

So as a result depending on the frequency content fo the center and rear channels you may still get some amount of sound also commign from the front left and right channels. In fact the system relies on this to create a "stereo effect" for the rear channels... i.e. to create a sound commign from rear left, get get a strong sound from rear and a weaker sound from front left, this gives the effect of the sound comming from rear left....)

So to be honest I wouldn't be too suprised to hear some sound dialogue still coming fromt he left and right channels.....

Also you MUST bear in midn that not all stereo sources contain dolby prologic surround. I don't know what the effect of having the dolby turned on would have on a non dolby source. I woudl liek to beelive the front and rear channels woudl be silent.. But the engineer in me suspects this may not be the case 100% the time.... You say it's bearly noticeable?

Try watchign something like Star Trek Voyager, on sky one, (if it still airs these days) as I beleiv ethat has dolby pro-logic soundtrack.... Check for the prologic logo at the start or end of a program....

Thats how I understand it! May not be 100% correct, but I suspect it's pretty close!

Hope that helps somewhat....

Cheers
    Rob

10. treboro

treboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS. Still very very very tempted with the 36ZP48 and tosh dvd-recorder/hdd thingy myself! Got an old Daewoo 20something" "square" telly at the moment...

Does the 36ZP48 support DTS or just AC3(Dolby Digital 5.1)?

Anybody knwo the actual differences between these? (I know I know.. I will do a search through the forum for this question now!)

11. rob27

rob27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just a quicky... all connected at same time...

If i connect my SD340 via digital to the tv i get dobly 5.1

If i connect dvd recorder just with scart... will i get dolby 5.1 ?

If i connect cable stb via scart will i get dolby 5.1

If i connect xbox via coax to to will i get dolby 5.1 (games permitting).

This is what is confusing me. Or do i need a mux type thing....

12. Ch3tan

Ch3tan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You will only get digital sound using the optical or coaxial inputs.

13. rob27

rob27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So i would need an AV amp Receiver? is that what its called...

Plug all the gear into this and then from that to the tv ? is that how it works... any setting up ?

14. tregoni

tregoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply treboro.

Would you expect to hear some dialogue from the surround speakers when playing dvd's or do you just think that this is a sky issue?

15. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The ZP48 range has 2 digital inputs; 1 Co-axial, 1 optical. You will only get Dolby Digital through the the 4 satellite speakers if you use one of these inputs. Scart can only transmit 2 audio channels, irrespective of what's on the other end.

The SD340 has a co-axial connection, so can transfer all DD channels to the TV, which then distributes them to the various speakers.

AV Receivers are really the next step towards having a component set-up. Whilst it can be used to send DD signals to the TV, you would normally use other speakers which would be directly connected to the AV Receiver. Then when watching a DVD etc., you would use these speakers, and have the TV silent.

Hope this helps.

16. tregoni

tregoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi allengn,

My problem is when comparing dolby pro logic from sky and dvd player not digital 5.1 (both with scart leads, I will be using optical cables for the dvd player in due course, and the best I can get from sky is pro-logic).

The question is - why do I get distorted dialogue through the surround speakers when watching sky (although only low) and not when watching a dvd? Is this to be expected from the sky signal?

Sorry to go on!!!

17. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Tregoni, I'm also new to this and therefore also learning. (and have cable not SkY)

However my old TV was a Dolby Pro-logic set. On occasions, when watching both terrestial and cable TV, the 'centre' channel would get transmitted across the front speakers (and very occasionally across the rears). This did have the effect's you describe.

I can only assume that the centre channel under Pro-logic was 'constructed' from the streamed data, which if not accurate would lead to some form of bleeding.

However as the DVD is probably 5.1, it is much more accurate, and therefore does not happen.

Only a guess, I'm sure others will fill in the gaps.

18. treboro

treboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a further thought.
    You know the TV, scart socket and scart lead connecting the dvd player and tv, are OK as you get good pro-logic from the dvd player.... Have you tried unplugging the scart from the DVD player and plugging this into the Sky box? (Leave the scart plugged in at the TV end). If you get the same effect it is either.... Some subtlety of what I explain further below, or a faulty sky box perhaps (I'd guess the faulty sky box isn't that likely though if you get good stereo sound from it!!!!!!).... If this fixes the problem, try swapping scart sockets on the TV, if the proble re-occurs it's possibly a faulty scart on the tv.... If the problem appears to be the cable, perhaps the second scart cable isn't 100%, I'd expect to be able to hear the difference between these two cables with just stereo sound too though...........

============================================
    ============================================
    Hmmmm... I would *almost* expect a dolby pro-logic sound track from dvd to be the same as a prologic sound source from free-to-air digital/sky..... But.... I don't know enough about how the 2 extra channels are encoded.

for example...

If dolby prologic uses the higher audio frequencies to encode the extra channels. What would happen if sky artificially reduce the audio "bitrate" cutting off the higher frequencies to reduce the total bitrate of the broadcast... (This would allow them to broadcast more channels on the same frequency and is also the source of the "blockies" or compression artifiacts people complain about when watching Sky channels such as Sky One on large televisions.)

In this scenario the dolby pro-logic decoding from sky could well be effected.
    But this is PURE speculation on my part now.. As I don't know enough about the pro-logic mechanism to be able to say if this is so or not...

Your best chance of rpoving the above theory would be to change to a higher quality channel. (I believe, but not owning sky don't know for sure, that the pay-for movie channels are much higher quality....)

I wouldn't go wasting money.. But if you ever watch the movie channels see if they are also effected....

My presonal opinion, and this is just a suggestion, would be to not bother with dolby-prologic anyway. As in my experience it isn't that good anyway. But I am by far NO expert! Perhaps others would have further suggestions and recommendations...

*After Reading the rest of the thread, thsi is similar to what allengn describes..... *

Cheers
    Rob

19. tregoni

tregoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have something here treboro - sky music channels sound ok.

Cheers