1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba 36zp48 - autoswitching geometry problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by 5lab, Oct 21, 2005.

1. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone else have this problem with a 36zp48? whenever the majority of my screen is bright white - explosions and the like.. the geometry changes - maybe from widescreen to 4:3 or to superlive or osmething. this doesnt happen if i turn off the auto-format modey thing, but whats the point in that :)

it happens on different inputs. any thoughts? it seems to me that the large amounts of white (high voltages maybe??) are confusing the auto-change thingy.. didnt happen on the same dvds, same dvd player on my old tv..

2. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I just have auto change off,i set it to 16:9,it is a widescreen tv after all :rolleyes:

3. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    granted, but a lot of stuff off ntl keeps coming in as 4:3 (which, displayed as widescreen, looks like arse)

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It could be a dodgy scart, a short interfering with the auto switch pin, but that seems unlikely. Try a different scart.

5. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    happens on component too...

6. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To produce colour images the electron gun fires three distinct beams and the phosphors on the TV screen are arranged in groups of three, each group making up a single pixel. The phosphors used in this arrangement give off red, green and blue light and a ‘shadow mask’ screens each pixel.

By modifying the strength of each electron beam, the qualities of each sub-pixel can be modified, creating the combinations necessary to form the millions of colours needed for a believable colour image.

Changing from Peak Black to Peak White does need a very high switching voltage on the second (video) amplifiers. You can often hear the change in the back of the set on tv commercials which change frequently.

Obviously the filtering of the voltages affected on the switching circuit isnt working. I

In short, It needs fixing!! Else switch off Auto Switching.

7. nhart

nhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

The reviewers in HCC also noticed this problem on the Tosh. In the review, I think the Tosh refused to stay in 16:9 unless the Auto Format option was turned off and the Wide mode selected.

I have the 36zp48 as well and have set it up this way to avoid the problem. If you really need to switch to 4:3 on occasion, there is a button on the remote that allows you to quickly cycle through all the display settings. Only takes a few seconds. Just remeber to set it back to wide when you are done.

N

8. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine works perfectly as described in all modes?
    Strange eh.