Toshiba 36ZP48 and aspect ratios

R

Reppy

My 36ZP48 arrived yesterday and, although the stand itself was faulty, I managed to set everything up. After trawling through the various posts here, I've managed to get an awesome picture on this set (thanks guys). However... I have problems with the picture size/ratio when watching Sky broadcasts.

The TV doesn't always change the ratio of the picture, although BBC1 seems to correctly change to "WIDE". I realise that many channels still broadcast in 4:3, but what is generally the best mode to watch 4:3 on the ZP48 (WIDE, SUPER LIVE, 14:9, 4:3 etc)? It seems to default to "SUPER LIVE", but that effectively zooms the picture and trims the top an bottom - I'm not happy watching like this. I find that manually changing the TV to "4:3" results in a slightly vertically stretched picture! Surely 4:3 broadcasts should look perfect (apart from the left and right borders) in "4:3" mode?

I also find that once I manually change the setting to (say) "4:3" that auto-mode selecting stops functioning!

FYI, I have my Sky box set to 16:9 and 4:3L for the secondary setting (whatever that is for). I'm coming from a 30" 4:3 set, so I've not had to deal with the various broadcast ratios before.

How do you other ZP46/48 owners view everyday Sky broadcasts?

TIA

The interesting thing I noticed about this is that when I switch to Wide and watch at DVD with aspect ratio of 1.77:1 there are still black bars at the top and bottom. The bars only disappear when I switch to Cinema. Surely, the bars shouldn't be there or am I missing something obvious.

On my previous Sony KV36 the bars only appeared on DVD with aspect ratio greater than 1.77:1 as you would expect.

Any comments would be appreciated.

The cinema setting will crop the pictue without any distortion.If you are watching a dvd on anything other than cinema black bars will always be visible but this is how the director wants to show the film.As for the default setting the tv Should go back to your last input ie wide/16.9 etc.

FYI, I have my Sky box set to 16:9 and 4:3L for the secondary setting (whatever that is for). I'm coming from a 30" 4:3 set, so I've not had to deal with the various broadcast ratios before.

The secondary picture setting in your Sky services menu is if you have a 2nd TV connected to the sky box.

Are you constantly changing the ratio for different TV channels, or are you happy with the "stretched" look? My sister watches her TV in WS, regardless of the transmission and I can't stand it (vertically stretched faces hurt my brain).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom