1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP48 Advice please!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Shiva, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Shiva

Shiva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peeps!

First post here :hiya: (although been lurking for a bit) so stay with me please! :thumbsup:

Ok, received the aforementioned TV yesterday. Apart from slipping a disc in my back getting it onto the stand (I grabbed the front of the tv while my wife supported the back with effortless elegance :D ) everything was hunky dory. But...

I have 3 niggles.

1) I get some colour bleed? eg on Kill Bill titles (white on black background) there is ~3/4mm pink on the right hand side of the white text and 1-2mm of green on the left hand side. Also generally when viewing, (not scrutinizing :) ) solid objects seem to be 'edge enhanced' with a brighter halo area adjacent to the object. Is this making sense?! it's so difficult to describe!
    Oh yea, I have a pioneer 717 dvd player (oldie but a goodie) and some hitachi gold scarts from argos (not the best, but would they cause this?)

2) After a few hours of turning on the TV there is a definite buzzing/vibration coming from the TV. This is intermittant. grrrrr.

3) Although nowhere near as marked as a Philips pixel plus TV I had, There is a slighly darker band down the middle of the screen. Also slightly in the corners. This is noticeable on a flat image or panning on footy. If this were the the only problem I maybe would let it go!

Bought from JL btw.

Is it reasonable to request a replacement? Am I being hyper-critical?! I usually go through life not wanting to cause a fuss, but I spent alot of money on this and I want it to be right! plus I am skint!

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Respect.

Shiva

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Personally i would ask for a replacement as an engineer will almost cerainly say"it is within manufacturers tolerances.

3. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi, welcome to the forum. Colour staining on screen sounds like it needs degaussing. Turn off and unplug the tv for the next couple of nights and this may cure that problem. Number 3 sounds like dirty screen syndrome, which all tvs seem to suffer with to some greater or lesser extent. Hope this helps,

Clyde.

4. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the same model ..... and the same niggles!

Colour bleed is down to convergence errors (usually toward the corners of the screen). There is little you can do about it. Take a walk down Currys and Comet and you'll see that most large screen crt's will show colour bleed (usually red) on white text located toward the edge of the screen (normally top and bottom left hand side).

There are two internal adjustments on the neck of the tube for this problem (VR1 & VR2) but these are set for best overall accuracy, usually aimed at the centre of the screen.

The uneven vertical banding may have something to do with an imperfect tube mask. As the image pan horizontally, you can see 'patches' of uneven purity. The image may even wobble a little as it pans.

I don't believe there is much an engineer can do (on both counts). By all means do try a replacement but chances are on such big screens you will still experience some of these imperfections.

As for the buzzing, mine is very quite.
    Any kind of buzzing would drive me mad and I would quickly request an immediate repair or replacement.

I hope you get these niggles sorted. It still is one of the best 36" crt out there.

5. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The dirty screen issue is a real irritation for me. I got my set from JL before Christmas and the saga so far is:

1. Complained about the dirty screen
    2. Engineer came out and agreed
    3. Replacement ordered
    4. Replacement arrived after 3 weeks
    5. Same problem, maybe even worse (wife took delivery and didn't check)
    6. Engineer came out and agreed
    7. Replacement ordered
    8. Replacement arrived after 4 days
    9. Same problem, wife rejected it this time
    10. JL sending an engineer out again to see if he can fix it (can't see how as it appears to be a tube imperfection). JL will keep swapping if we want, or offer a different TV...

I watch a lot of sport on TV and so I see the problem and it's irritating, I bought this TV as it was rated the best 36inch out there... do I have any other options if they can't find me one with a clean picture ?

6. Cunny

Cunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Please excuse my ignorance.
    What is JL?
    What is colour bleed?

This TV is about £850 from empiredirect.co.uk
    Is that a good price?
    I notice it's over £1000 else where.

7. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Eglons, I was thinking about calling currys out to my set for the dirty screen, but I dont think i'll bother now. I imagined the scenario you've had and the possibility of getting an even worse one. Better the devil you know!

Cunny, JL is John Lewis Department Store and colour bleed is when one colour overlaps/bleeds into another, usually when you get white writing on a red background.

8. Cunny

Cunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This TV seems to be recommended by quite a few people on here. Yet, has some common problems associated with it.
    So, is this telly worth buying and are the problems so bad that the viewing experience is spoilt?

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    (1) Virtually any TV will have its fans on the Forum who will recommend it.

(2) Every TV has common problems associated with it.

(3) Any TV is worth buying (at the right price) if you like the spec and can get a good one.

So, taking the above three factors into account:

(4) Buy from John Lewis for all the advantages that you now know about.

(I really must try to get some commission from JL for all these plugs! :rotfl: )

11. Cunny

Cunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can get that model from www.empiredirect.co.uk for £200 cheaper than JL.
    Are empiredirect not to be trusted? bad rep?

12. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,533
    not sure about empire direct,i got mine from john lewis for £874 with a free dvd player and 5 years warranty which i jumped at, was a pricing mistake at the time.is the extra 200 worth the piece of mind that its warranty is for 5 years,how long is warranty from empire.

13. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Cunny : Ive just bought one from JLs : £1095 Delivered – 5 Year guarantee. Arrives tommorrow – Ive got a whole day under the floorboards wiring my kit. Anyway :

Empire Direct : £846 + Delivery (I think its about £50 for this TV) So that’s £900, add on the 5 year guarantee from Empire Direct @ £175, and your £25 short of JLs price. If anything goes wrong with the TV in that 5 years, you would have to arrange return to Empire Direct. All the "bargain" prices Ive seen for this TV have been pricing errors in JL shops with pricematches to bulk buy outfits AFAICT (I tried with a Costco pricematch and was knocked back), just depends on what JL store you have close to it. All in all JLs price with Delivery & 5Y warrantly persuaded me to buy with them, plus the 28 day no quibblle return. When it comes to buying a piece of kit like this I don’t mind paying “slightly” more for the added piece of mind. BTW every TV has some sort of quibble or not, in fact if you look at the top of the page on the TV forum there are a few with Stickies about their problems, I don’t see the 36ZP48P with that level of problems TBH.

ATB & Good luck.

14. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Given that I am now on my 3rd one of these and JL keep on sending out engineers and replacements I can't recommend them highly enough... if I'd gone with Empire direct or another internet no name I'd have still been waiting for the first swap out.

JL have said that I can swap for a Panasonic or Sony 36inch if I'd prefer them... anyone any clues on whether I'd get better viewing (predominently sport and fast moving stuff is the issue)

Cheers

15. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Eg, I assume you have bought the 36ZP48P for its PAL PS on component ? If so the only other 36” CRT TV I know of that have component input is the Phillips SD50, not seen one but I did have a long view of the 32” PD30 very nice looking set but only Nicam sound no DD 5.1 like the Toshiba.

Whats been wrong with your sets ?

16. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Problem is dirty screen with motion (especially sport). I bought the set because I wanted a 36inch CRT and this one was recommended. I don't really use any of the connectivity features (I've just got it connected via a few £25 SCART leads) and I can't use the external speakers as my 1 year old thinks they are for climbing on. So really I'm just after a 36inch CRT which doesn't have the dirty screen issue

17. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Eglons

Just an update my 36ZP48P arrived yesterday and no problems at all - from any source - Analg TV signal, Freeview via Humax 8000T RGB Scart - SD-9500 via component inputs - all blisteringly good. Hope you get sorted dude. Right Im away to rest my back - which is still sore after lifting this monster.

18. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hmmmmmm :( Eglong 3 sets you say, looks like Im already going onto set 2 this week.

A rather sad turn of events last night with my 36ZP48P, towards the end of Minority Report noticed a tinny rattling / buzzing (quite noticable) from the TVs inetgrated left hand speaker, got gradually worse and worse (coming and going), at end of film tried a few different DVDs all exhibitsed same problem, switched over to anlg TV and problem there too. Had a good nights kip then tried again this morning :

One goosed Left speaker, constant ringing and rattling, sounds like a blown tweeter or something rattling about inside the speaker. Never played TV that loud even the whole weekend.

John Lewis are replacing the set on Friday. 1 problem with this new set on I will be invoking the 28 day return of good clause for a full refund, not JLs fault but QC at Toshiba seems a little awry, PQ perfect FWIW.

Drat horseplops, anyone had a similar problem or could point me towards a thread with the Toshs onboard or ext speakers giving up the ghost like this.

19. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update....

11. Engineer came out and proclaimed that the problem was still there.
    12. JL are replacing again on Monday (number 4)

I'll keep you posted.

20. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Eglons yep keep everybody informed my 2nd 36ZP48P arrived today from John Lewis today. Heres hoping the speaker holds out on this one. Cant faulty JLs excellent service so far.

BTW does anyone here know, if I have a 28 day return period without quibble from JLs ? does that mean from every new set delivered to my house or from the first set last week ?

21. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    13. Number 4 looked fine until we put football on it, at which point it was obvious that about an eighth of the left side of the screen was darker than the rest of it. The good news is that the delivery guys now know what to check for and we didn't even have to reject this one ourselves! give JL their due they are willing to keep sending them out and I think they'd be prepared to discuss and alternate, but I've no idea what else to go for (I don't see any other 36inch CRT on the JL website?)

22. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens to all of these rejected TVs? There seem to be an awful lot of them. Hope they are not just put back on sale.

23. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Sorry to hear about your problems Eglons, FWIW I was watching a serious bit of football/rugby over the weekend via both the analogue tuner & my Humax 8000T and it looked fine on the replacement set, some broadcasts via the Humax (ie DTT) can look terrible the next can look stunning ie differing broadcasters – some BBC services look rank, then your get Sky news or Ch5 can look DVD quality. Do you think it may be scart problem of the output equipment your using dude ?

Anyway this new set is working fine, PQ wise – stunning. SQ – also stunning, very impressed with the impact the subwoofer has in DD 5.1 mode.

FWIW the only other 36” CRT that JLs do is the Panny SD50, £1800 of it FYI, its also got component inputs like the Tosh 48P. I was informed by JLs that they sometimes come up on offer, I would ask to see one of those and see if they will do a deal for you due to your hassle factor so far.

Chavvy I was told mine would be going back to manufacturer for a rebuild.

24. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    14. Another replacement on Monday (number 5)... ta da... this one is fine, a couple of really light dirty spots but only visible on blue screen, at last I can enjoy the set as it was meant to be enjoyed. :clap:

25. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Nice one Eglons.

Glad to hear your sorted dude, Ive not had one problem since I got my my second set FYI.

26. waddy

waddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 different sets :eek:

I was seriously considering the 36ZP48 but am having 2nd thoughts now :(

I suppose the JL guarantee has been worth it but I am loathed to pay the extra money when they are cheaper elsewhere.

What is the standard Tosh 1 year guarantee like? Will they just keep sending engineers out to me or would I be TV-less if they took it away?

What a dilemma :lease:

27. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure they are. I bought my 32ZP46 from a cheap ebay seller and although it looked brand new I noticed the original factory sealed tape on the box had been cut and over stuck with new tape. I would suggest always rejecting such a product.

My TV is almost perfect, but does suffer the slightly darker peripheral halo and central vertical stripe. It's the sort of problem that 90% of people wouldn't notice. It's only noticeable on sideways scrolling footage like football. I'm sure it has nothing to do with a dirty screen, but is something to do with the tube. The number of posts I've seen makes me believe that every ZP TV suffers the same problem (to a greater or lesser extent) but that some people are just more aware of it than others. Maybe it is some subtle crt adjustment problem. It looks to me like a shadow from something way back in the electron gun. I also suspect that it varies between colour guns. It's nothing most people should be worried about. I'm not and the rest of my family hasn't even noticed the problem (and believe me they would say) — so I'm keeping quiet about it. What the eye doesn't see and all that. :cool:

When I get a moment I'll post an image or two.

28. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    I have the previous model, 36ZP18, this shows the problems described in this thread. Had engineer out and he said it was a common trait of this tube. Tried degausing, no effect, having the contrast set to high also shows fault up as well, dont really notice it now, but like you say every set has its niggles. I found upgrading the scarts to high quality shielded ones helped improve the picture.

29. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I assumed. Here are a couple of snaps for prospective buyers who might be concerned. The upper picture is how the screen actually appears and demonstrates that the problem is virtually invisible. The lower picture has been taken with a longer exposure and clearly shows the central brighter halo and thin vertical stripe up the middle of the screen (the horizontal stripe a third way down is just the camera capturing the vertical scan of the tube and can be ignored).

[​IMG]

I think the halo is quite understandable on a widescreen CRT and I expect that most makes suffer from something similar. This halo is outside the focus of attention and would only trouble perfectionists. However, it's the central vertical stripe that is more noticeable because it falls exactly in the line of sight. But again, this stripe is invisible on everything other than sideways scrolling action (like football). You could go for another make, but most have one flaw or another. I'm sticking with the devil I know, and in every other respect this TV is superb.

Some people have reported a booming bass and a rattle, but I suspect that both these issues are related. I was dismayed by the booming bass when first I switch on my TV, but that’s what comes from not reading the manual. One simple RC button press disabled what Toshiba call the “Super Woofer” and everything was back to normal. For those that like a thumping bass the super woofer feature certainly does what it says on the tin! Luckily the effect is adjustable, although I leave it disabled. Crank up the super woofer effect and the vibration is enough to make anything rattle, including the internal components right out of their sockets!!

30. nhart

nhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I am new to the forum but could not help noticing some of the problems you guys are experiencing with the Tosh.

I have just taken delivery of mine and have not noticed any of these problems. It took me about 25 minutes to set the picture up using a THX Video Set Up utility on one of my DVD's but having adjusted levels, all seems well. It may sound basic but have you tried experimenting with some of the settings? The Lab tests on this set in some of the decent Hi Fi press were really good for Convergence and Bleed. Maybe the odd set is not well set up when leaving the factory?

Nick