Toshiba 36ZP46P £799

swin70 said:
I'm pretty sure I saw it for £699 in our local store a few days ago ...

This is correct - Comet had the 32zp46 at £699 and the 36zp46 at £799

After months of deliberating whether to get a Plasma or CRT, or whether to wait a couple of years before buying a Plasma because of HiDef, and what TV to go for etc... this happens. I couldn't be happier. Well done Toshiba. :thumbsup:

A quick question to you guys :

I know John Lewis are doing the 48 for £1045 and that Dixons/Currys are doing the 46 for £799. I know the price difference is due to the absence of 5.1 sound, and I already have a seperate AV receiver. My only concern is the warranty. Are you guys all happy to go with the Dixons/Currys 46 that only comes with a one year guarantee rather than the John Lewis 48 that comes with five? I know it's £250 more, but do you lot go just hope for the best, or go to someone else (like Domestic & General) for additonal warranties?

Hi Sly Fly. You can opt to pay for extended warrenties from Dixons; I think they offer 2 and 3 year warrenties, although I just stuck with the given 1 year.

Yeah, I'm guessing their extended two year (to make it three) offer will be around the £200 mark.

I'm only asking as I'm in two minds about it. Pay the extra and go for 36ZP48P JL with 5 year, or stick with Dixons et al with the sans-5.1 36ZP46P £799 (which is all I need due to my Denon amp) and then think about warranties after the free one-year guarantee is up.

Aside from John Lewis, who I know offer great service (cue Tight Git ;) ) who out of Dixons/Comets/Currys offer the best after-sales service? Anyone know?

(p.s. Additional two years (making three in total) with Domestic and General would cost me £153.00, making total price £952. Additional four years would put it equal with the John Lewis price...)

I guess I'm just looking for different views and past experience from anyone here, as I will [probably] upgrade in three(ish) years when High Definition TV has sorted itself out.

If you are looking at matching the 5 years warranty I would say to stick with John Lewis.

Even if you do not need the full Dolby 5.1 on the TV is is nice to have. From what I have heard, you might actually prefer to use the TV's own sound on some occasions...

I have gone for the 46P and am using with JVC THA35R system but had I seen the JL offer on the 48P beforehand I would have gone for it.

Anyway, good luck with yoru deliberations, and once delivered just sit back and ENJOY!

Bernie

Comet 5yr cover is £200 on these TV's if i recall correctly. It may be £250 on the 36".

Does John Lewis cover accidental damage at all?

To be honest I've never been a fan of D&G. They seem overpriced and offer a less comprehensive cover than comet. And although I dont know the ins and outs of currys policy like comets I do know that currys cover accidental damage and will replace like for like where as if D&G cant repair your item they will give you the "market value" of your actual item in cash.

If you have accidental l cover on your household insurance and it dies you could always 'accidentally' spill something down the back of it...

if you buy the tv on your barclaycard before 310105 you will get 2 years free cover as well as manufacturers warranty, making 3 years in total.

i am really fuming after my original order online was cancelled due to barclaycard not authorising payment, this was due to me not using the card in a while. i had to ring them and after a series of security questions they were satisified it was me placing the order and not someone using my card. however, currys had cancelled my order by this point and when i rang to tell them the issue with barclaycard had been sorted they informed me that my order was cancelled and no other tv's available for order...boy was i ticked off..

i then rang round frantically to several stores to be told they would be getting more stock but i would be at the back of a long queue and dont hold my breath for delivery before 4 weeks. they were more than happy to take my money as a pre order. i have rang jl to see if they will price match (not said it is the 46p at currys) they said they will forward my request to relevant dept who will write to me, again not holding my breath..after just about convincing my wife to let me buy the damn thing this happens.......

Hmm. Just switched my Barclaycard to someone else. Bugger. :)

I think, that I'll probably hunt around for a Curry's -46P, and then rethink the whole think after the free year is up. If I can't seem to find a TV (as you lot are having such... a fun time in doing :rolleyes: ) then I'll go for the more expensive -48P at John Lewis.

Time to go a-visiting the stores methinks. :D

Dirty Double Stinking Post!

I've just been to two Curry's stores and have gained the following information. Yes, they are out of stock, but they are getting more in. Aparantly, the new stock will be capped, and they won't be getting any more in after that.

I can only tell you how many sets are coming in for Kent and London as that's where I live, and it's where the distribution covers. I had a look at their screens, and BOTH stores confirmed they have 80 coming in tomorrow, and 80 on the 7th. Trouble is, they already have close to 180 pre-ordered televisions, so all that stock is used up. They will be getting in either :

a) another 260, or
b) another 400, or
c) another 800.

I was told a mixture of the three, but I think that b) is correct. I'm going to order mine from Crawley, and the nice manager even said he'd do me a deal on the 3 year warranty extension, which I don't think I'll take him up on, but fair play nonetheless. :smashin:

Delivery time varies. I was told from Crawley that they should get them in within 7-10 days. Back where I live they said it could be three weeks.

Basically, if you want this TV, you'll have to pre-order... or have balls of steel and wait and see what happens. :D

Hope that helps people...

Ordered one of these as well. Local John Lewis offered to chuck in a Tosh DVD recorder but the 46p at under £799 was too much to resist. Incidentally bought on Natwest C/C as you get an extra 12 months warranty free.

just checked currys site and show back in stock.. ordered straight away for delivery early next week...currys must have additional stock set aside for web orders.. :thumbsup: :clap:

I think it depends on where you are in the UK. In my postcode area, for example, they are still saying they have none in stock. :rolleyes:

On the upside though, I did get a nice shiny new credit card yesterday with a huge credit limit. Mmm... :smoke:

Still out of stock in Surrey & Berks aswell...

Go for the 48P from JL...

... and my wife will be more than happy to use up some of that credit on your new card! :D

a-ha-ha... no, no, I think I can spend it myself thanks. :smashin:

I've just been looking at the warranty details with John Lewis. Comparing like-for-like, the one offered by Curry's seems to come out best. Little things like Curry's one don't charge you for a site visit and finding nothing wrong, whereas JL will. Admittedly, the service offered by JL could be better, but perhaps it's luck of the draw that I would go with Curry's and find a fantastic depot that is very efficiently run. Or something. :)

In any case, I believe I will go with Curry's and see if they will do me a deal for the three-year guarantee. I think that, after three years, I will then be happy enough to sell it on and buy a Plasma or Hologram Projector or whatever the latest fad is. :D

Cheers for all the advice, and happy hunting the lot of you.

Changed my mind. :D

On the off-chance, I phoned up John Lewis at Bluewater, which is only five minutes away from me. Turns out that they have lowered their price from £1049 to £999, because they are price-matching a local competitor. They couldn't tell me who, because the lady didn't know...

But this means that anyone who has bought, or are thinking about buying a 36ZP48P from John Lewis in the UK can pricematch it to the Bluewater store and save themselves £50. :smashin: Not the saving of the century, but it'll certainly buy you a few boozes.

The other thing that tipped it was that their 5-Year guarantee is transferable. So, if I sell the T.V. in 3 years time, it'll be guaranteed for a further two years to the potential buyer. And that, in my opinion, is a fantastic selling point. :smashin:

Top marks to John Lewis, firstly for lowering the price and keeping it there, and secondly for the great 5-year transferable thing.

I also spoke to JL Bluewater about this. However, they confirmed that they do not have any in stock and no idea of when they are likely to get some. Apparently, they were due a delivery on 29th December, which failed to materialize.

Does anyone know enough about JL that if I was to place a pre-order and the price dropped would they automatically reduce the price/refund etc or would you have to cancel and replace another order in which case you may miss the boat if the pre-orders outnumber the stock due.

CTT - you're dead right with that info. JL told me exactly the same (nice to know they're consistent), except they said the 29th Dec delivery to the stores may well have been held up by the bank holidays, and may still appear. Wishful thinking perhaps, but I'm guessing they won't let a shipment vanish.

In any case, I'm not desperate to have a TV immediately, and can wait until they get them in.

As to your other question, I've got their price-matching leaflet in front of me, and it says :

The Leaflet Author said:
If you find the same item you have just bought from us selling less at another shop in the UK, we will refund the difference... we do not set a fixed period within which you can claim, but would normally consider it reasonable that claims are made within 28 days from the date of purchase...

I might also ask them if I can get some commision for this too... ;)

CTT said:
Does anyone know enough about JL that if I was to place a pre-order and the price dropped would they automatically reduce the price/refund etc or would you have to cancel and replace another order in which case you may miss the boat if the pre-orders outnumber the stock due.
JL wont refund the difference if you have ordered an item and it drops in price before you receive it.

I ordered a 36ZP48 + SD240E mid December, they still have not delivered it yet!! and the price has dropped by £350, I contacted them for a refund and they said NO

Just ordered my 36zp46 from a Currys store.....I moaned about not being able to use a discount code and the guy sorted the delivery out for a tenner.
I checked out the order the guy was putting through and it appears that Currys Head Office have ordered 80 today and a further 80 on 07/01/05 from Toshiba. Customer pre-orders totalled 136 so far.....and I'm number 137.

You'll have to be quick of the mark if your after one. Incidentally the website does appear to be in stock again.

Happy shopping.

Can you believe I went to order early this morning (3am) and it threw up an error message! Went back this morning and now theyve put it up to £999
Which is a rip-off considering it's a cut down version and John Lewis are doing the full version for that much!!

:eek:

Spanpody said:
JL wont refund the difference if you have ordered an item and it drops in price before you receive it.

I ordered a 36ZP48 + SD240E mid December, they still have not delivered it yet!! and the price has dropped by £350, I contacted them for a refund and they said NO
I'd disagree with that.

I went into John Lewis [Bluewater] last night to order my 48P (2nd Feb delivery! Oh noes!!) and I purposefully asked them if the price went down by the time the delivery came in, would I be entitled to a refund, and they said "Yes, just tell us what the current price is and that's all you have to pay."

Spanbody, I can't see how they can't give you a refund - with John Lewis's's's excellent "Never Knowingly Undersold" promise, they clearly state that if you have just bought (i.e. not ordered, but purchased) an item from them, and then within 28 days find it cheaper somewhere else, they will give you a refund of the difference. At the very least you could take delivery of the goods and then refer them to any other John Lewis store...? I wouldn't let the matter drop for £350 if I were you!

Currys were advertising the Toshiba ZP46 on TV last night at £799 so I would expect them to be having a good supply available - unless it's a way of getting customers into the shop and then selling them another product!

AntF said:
Currys were advertising the Toshiba ZP46 on TV last night at £799 so I would expect them to be having a good supply available - unless it's a way of getting customers into the shop and then selling them another product!

Was that the 36" model?
I drove down to the store and the manager said they've been out of stock for ages but they are back in stock now 'miraculously' but at the new price!
Said they sold 500!

Which station and area was that in btw?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom