1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP46 & large Screen CRTs in general: Two Questions

Discussion in 'TVs' started by FlimsyFeet, Aug 15, 2005.

1. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought a Toshiba 36ZP46 to replace the 5-year old 28" set we had.

The first one that was delivered had an annoying buzz in it. I've seen several posts on here mentioning that large screen 100Hz sets are prone to buzzing. Spoke to the company it was bought from, and they said leave it for a week to run in. Spoke to Toshiba for a second opinion, and explained that the buzz was loud enough to be audible from the settee when watching at normal volume levels, and they said it was definitley a fault and to return it.

Anyway, we got the TV replaced, and the new one seems to be better: you can still hear a buzz if you place your ear next to the casing, but it is not audible during normal circumstances.

So, question 1, what's the story with buzzing TVs?

Now, question 2, with the new larger screen, compression artefacts/blocking from digital TV (we have ntl digital cable) are more obvious. I've got noise reduction turned on, and sharpness turned right down, but still my wife says that the picture is worse than the old 28" set. Is there anything else I can do? (The contrast is set to 100%, but I can still see the different white boxes in the THX Optimizer.) If I got Sky, do they broadcast with higher bitrates and a less blocky picture?

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    It is always difficult, to know how loud the buzz is or how poor the picture is, without being in the room.
    The bigger the picture, the easier it is to see the faults.
    And anything which is smaller is usually quieter, it is difficult to know if all your problems are down to it being a larger TV.

There are many things inside a TV which can buzz/whistle.

Nigel

3. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Check these two settings out and try them. I personally prefer the latter settings:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1150638&postcount=16

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1236223&postcount=163

4. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    IMHO picture is likely to be worse as the set is more than 20% bigger with the same amount of pixels - and probbly a lot more digital processes to make up from I would guess was a non flat screen 28" screen to a flat screen 36" screen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the bigger the picture the less detailed - hence the push for high defintition.

5. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Oh Sky is likely to be worse :(

6. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that reducing the contrast from the factory set level of 100 down to 50-ish does help reduce the appearance of blocks from digital cable.

7. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ??? My 36" Tosh looks better than every other TV in my house (consisting of 14" - 32" and a combination of laptop screens, TFT monitors, Portable TV's, large 4:3 TVs and a Widescreen TV) so not too sure what you mean there.... in fact its better than my 84" projection screen but in fairness that because its an LCD projector fed by a composite cable DOH!

8. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Guess it´s down to personal taste as I can´t see how a 36" could compete against a 14".

Watching TV on a 14" TV is in some ways like High Definiton very small screen but running 525 lines and without any flicker on standard 50htz.

9. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    all the reviews for the Tosh 36" and Sony 36" are 10/10, or 5star etc for exceptional picture quality, yet lots of smaller TV's reviewed by homecinemachoice etc dont get as good a mark for pic review, so I find it hard to believe that purely increasing the size of the TV means that the pic quality is degraded. I also thought I read somewhere that the Tosh has twice the amount of 'pixels' as a standard TV, if this is true then the same size pixel is used but on a much bigger screen, meaning far more detail can be extracted from the same image as on a smaller TV - similar to how hi-def will work :)

10. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Adding more pixes - upscaling - is no subsitute to an original source with a high ratio of lines vs screen size.

Reality I guess is these days small TVs are produced with less effort than the bigger screens so that probably compensates for the fact that the picture is blown up on a bigger screen.

IMHO - and I have a 36" TV and have seen others - old style 4:3 analogue TVs have provided the best pictures I have ever seen although a 2,35 aspect ratio picture on such a screen doesn't have the same impact that a 36" widescreen TV has.

That's just my view :)