Toshiba 36ZP46 for £699

bawheid

http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=8667

Seen 36" picture frame Tosh here for £699 + del.

Anyone know how good this model is and are there any issues with PQ?

It seems to have good connectivity and should tide me over until HiDef market matures.

Alternatively I have seen JVC 32R57K in local comet for £400, lower end of my budget but I noticed it has 3 scart 2 of which are RGB which would be my min. for connections.

All suggestions are very welcome :hiya:

per-Sony-fied

Plenty of info on this model can be found on other threads on this forum. It's rated very highly and the worst problems for the 36inch model seem to be geometry errors and a fuzzy vertical white line of about 2inches! right down the middle of the set. Often seen on a blank screen or when brightness is turned up. Most sets it seems suffer very slightly. The worst of course are unwatchable. It's a trait of the Toshiba tube.

Oh yea one other thing the front on/off switch and release flap are rather plasticky. A small lack of thought here imo.

Currys incidently are selling this set at £600

L

longleyc

I had mine for two months. Apart from the required menu adjustments which are recommended , its been trouble free.
I only had to adjust the screen tilt via the normal menu.

I must say that you will get a better tv picture by a good digital input over the normal coaxial ariel input. It not awful, just playing to the tv`s advantages!

DVD`s are excellent quality. I also use the Coaxial Digital 5.1 connection for sound, which is good, for an inbuilt system.
Its ideal for a small livingroom, so I got the ZP48 version for sound purposes.
Even the Nicam Dolby Surround broadcasts seperate the channels very well. Obviously, it not a dedicated 80w per channel 5.1 A/V amp!

There are enough modes to keep most "remote fiddlers" happy.

The odd report of too many brown hues in the picture. My experience is that its really down to how the program was shot.
For example, Corry looks fine etc. But Fast and the Furious DVD looks like it was shot with a Brown filter permanently. Ironically the F&TF DVD Extras Menu footage looks how it should.
On the other hand, Red Planet DVD looks fine, as you would expect.
Skin tones are rich, but as most tv is hollywood driven they all got tans!

The 36" for £600 is a steal. I payed £799 delivered. I`d pay it again!

One word of advice: Some people read these forums, pick up on every post and really look for problems. Hell its only a £600 tv!
Its impossible to get perfect geometry on a CRT this size. Remeber too that it has a minumum viewing range, cos of the screen size. Sit 4ft away and you will not benefit from such a screen size. 10-12ft seems ideal.

Buy it.

bawheid

Thanks folks, I'll have a look at my nearest Curry's for the £600 price and possible demo (could not see set on their website so I assume it's an in-store special).

Thanks again :smashin:

per-Sony-fied

longleyc said:
The odd report of too many brown hues in the picture. My experience is that its really down to how the program was shot.
For example, Corry looks fine etc. But Fast and the Furious DVD looks like it was shot with a Brown filter permanently. Ironically the F&TF DVD Extras Menu footage looks how it should.
On the other hand, Red Planet DVD looks fine, as you would expect.
Skin tones are rich, but as most tv is hollywood driven they all got tans!
Me thinks your just finding excuses for a brown tinted TV :)

The fact that F+F looks brown suggests that the TV does have a hue to it. Also backed up by rich skin tones. Can't think why they would want to shoot a whole film with a permanent filter over the camera lens and just so happens to have chossen the very hue that I think afflicts this set.

All said and done I've got an itch to replace my Panny with this set but something tells me not to as I demo'd it against the panny in the first place!

A good un can be very close to what I call natural but I think you need a lot of luck to get one like it.

per-Sony-fied

Coolhandluke said:
Any chance of a black one?
You need a ZP38 old and discontinued but there are some stores still with these on display. Besides I think once you see one you'd much prefer the ZP46

L

longleyc

per-Sony-fied said:
Me thinks your just finding excuses for a brown tinted TV :)

The fact that F+F looks brown suggests that the TV does have a hue to it. Also backed up by rich skin tones. Can't think why they would want to shoot a whole film with a permanent filter over the camera lens and just so happens to have chossen the very hue that I think afflicts this set.
Ive no hang ups about this tv I can assure you.

My point is that the non movie part (extras menu)of the DVD was as I expected it. Normal digital tv looks fine. So that goes someway in proving that cinematographers use different films and filters to acheive an effect. (Which they do.) Else why the difference. Of course this tv might have a mind of its own and be selective on which films it likes to "overhue"!! Its good tv, but not that good.
Deep Blue Sea is rather blue, maybe thats a problem too :)

And yes, some people have had problems with this tv for varying reasons, but I agree you can get a good one or a bad one.

Lets say, this supposed issue wouldnt put me of buying another one.

Trending threads

Top Bottom