1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP38B - Setup!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Puneet, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Puneet

Puneet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Righty guys, getting the television in on tuesday, was wanting to know what cables I should be buying (i assume the included OEM ones aren't up to much?)

This may be a stupid question, well probably is, but I want the 5.1DD output to work for both dvd and sky(i tend to watch most of my movies from sky, getting sky+ in a couple of weeks too so that'll mean i can record and watch!), going to buy a new progressive scan DVD player also. Is there a switch or something that enables this? (i'm assuming that the digi coaxial cable running to the dvd player only provides 5.1 for the DVD? and that a scart cable can't carry 5.1 sound?)

Basically wanted to know what cables to use to connect what, Television, DVD, VCR and Sky. I was looking through the special offers section of the forum and saw a good deal from tvcables.co.uk on the Thor scart to scart cables and was thinking of picking up those(however many i need).

any advice would be nice and i apologise for my lack of knowledge on the subject :)

2. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ to RGB TV - Good Quality SCART
    Sky+ to VCR - Normal Quality SCART
    Sky+ to optical switch - Good Quality Optical lead
    DVD to RGB TV - Good Quality SCART
    DVD to optical switch - Good Quality optical lead
    Optical switch to TV - Good Quality optical lead

So you will need to purchase-

2 x Good quality SCART leads
    1 x Normal quality SCART lead
    3 x Good quality optical leads
    1 x 2 way optical switch

Whenever you play anything on the VCR, the Sky+ box should autoswitch the TV to the AV channel and pass the VCR signal through to it.

Hope this helps.

3. bananaman

bananaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not exactly an expert on these things, but surely if your new DVD player is going to be progressive, then you're going to need component leads to take the video signal to the TV, and not an RGB Scart lead? :confused: Scart leads can't carry progressive signals, and besides, seeing as you have the option of Scart or component on the ZP38, you'd be better off usiing the better-quality signal provided by component leads.

You're right that the Scart lead won't carry 5.1 sound, and again, you're right that the digital coax will instead take the 5.1 sound to either your amp or your TV. (I must admit, I can't remember whether the back of the ZP38 has both digital coax AND/OR optical, but whichever of these it is, that's what you want!) :)

Hope that helps, and happy viewing of the ZP38 - it's a cracking picture!!

:smashin:

4. Puneet

Puneet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi yes my point was (sorry if the wording was a bit inconspicuous) that seeing as though the sky would be connected via the RGB Scart, the 5.1 would not be carried along it, I'm well aware that the component connection would be the only viable option for the prog scan dvd connection :) thanks a lot for the help guys, received a phone call today delivery on tuesday morning! should be fun fun ! :)

5. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    the zp38 has 2 digital audio inputs for 5.1 sound (1 optical and 1 coaxial). you can assign the digital inputs to any av channel you want so you can have one assigned to av1 for your rgb sky, and the other assigned to av4 for your component/progressive scan dvd.

so obviously you'll need 1 optical digital cable and 1 coaxial digital cable both going straight to tv, so no need for an audio switch box.

6. Puneet

Puneet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers shortround