Toshiba 36ZP38B Progressive v Interlaced

gordonavon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there
Having had this TV for a couple of weeks now and had various problems with it (contained in another thread), last night I decided to switch the Scan mode for viewing Sky and normal terrestrial TV to Progressive. When I first tried this a couple of weeks ago it did not seem to make much difference to the picture, but last night there was a noticeable improvement in both Sky and terrestrial.

My question therefore is - under what circumstances should I set the Scan mode to one of the 3 interlaced modes (Normal, Active or 100Mhz) or should I just leave the setting on progressive all the time. Do Sky and terrestrial broadcast in progressive?

Thanks
Gordon:

PS whenever I click on a smilie to put in these messages I just get text - for example :confused:
How do I get the smilies to appear?

The Tosh modes are a bit confusing, as they ALL seem to be variants of 100Hz processing. I just leave mine on 'Natural'. I guess some sky channels could benefit from digital processing (I've never tried it).

My Sky+ box is set to use RGB, which gives the best picture. Progressive is actually a method of refreshing the screen, so it's not part of any broadcast. I think the nearest thing we have (or rather don't yet have) to that is High-Definition TV.

... as for the Smileys, it works as intended (as you've no doubt noticed on your post).

:D

I leave my TV in Progressive for everything. Now if I switch back to any of the interlaced modes I can see scan lines very easily - same applies to watching other peoples tellies, the scan lines are so obvious.

One negative point with Progressive mode is that it appears to show the artefacts in the source more, such as digital blocking due to crap digital compression. However I have now learned to live with this and got used to it (DTV quality is pants most of the time if you ask me).

As for flicker due to the 50Hz, you get used to it and the only time I really notice it is when the screen is very bright/white.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom