Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba 36ZP38 Progressive Scan Problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Markt007, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Markt007

Markt007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought you people might like to know about a problem I recently encountered with my Tosh 36ZP38. I have just purchased a Denon DHT-500SD home cinema system and connected to it with component leads (Supra AV3 1 metre) to take advantage of the progressive scan output.

Almost immediately I noticed feint swirly lines on the picture when progressive scan was enabled on the Denon (in interlace mode it was fine). It is particularly noticeable on the blue screen of the Denon (i.e. when no dvd in or you have stopped the dvd). I then started noticing the interference pattern whilst watching disks especially in large areas of white such as sky or on animation disks.

Of course I immediately jumped to the conclusion that either the Denon was faulty or the component leads were. Any way to cut a long story short after much messing about and testing it is a known fault for this particular model of toshiba.

I first spoke to Tosh technical services who were dopey and claimed their were no known faults logged for the progressive scan, but I wasn't having any of it because I had eliminated everything else - eventually he gave me the customer services number 01276 69400 who very quickly confirmed they would arrange for a Tosh approved engineer to come out and look at it - free if charge :smashin: (bear in mind that I bought it June 2003!).

Sure enough an engineer came today and showed me the technical bulletin from toshiba dated Jan this year stating "feint swirly lines when progressive scan enabled change capacitor C898 from 20pf rating to 100pf" or something similar. They are ordering the part and it will be sorted at no charge :thumbsup:

I just wanted everyone to be aware that this is a known Tosh design fault which they will fix for free if any other owners experience this problem

Cheers guys

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's a very useful piece of information. Well done on being so 'dogged'. regards, yt.

3. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the info, Markt007. :smashin:

4. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Mark. I've got a Toshiba 32ZP38B - does this apply for this TV too ? I'm just about to buy a Tosh RDXS32 and hope to use the Progressive Scan feature ?