1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP38 problems update

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wilt, May 20, 2004.

1. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

There have been several post in the past about owners of 36ZP38 having problems with picture quality, things like dirty screen, convergence errors and a faint one inch vertical line in the middle of the screen. I have had my one for a month now and I have had these problems from the start. I'm thinking of calling an engineer to see if he can help fix things but I would like to hear from people who have had simalar problems and how you've gone about getting them rectified.

Regards

Wil

2. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,
    i've have my tv for about a month now and to be honest i'm not very impressed.
    the picture quality through telewest cable is poor but maybe that is cable and not the tv.
    i have the dirty screen effect but i'm not too bothered about that.
    i have an engineer coming on saturday though because the progressive scan doesn't work properly when i watch dvd's on my pro scan dvd player.
    apparently this is a problem that toshiba are aware of but only act when it is reported to them.
    so all in all i'm pretty dissapointed with the tv, i expected more for my money.

3. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi,

i know what you mean Chirs. I have the 32 inch version and have 3 problems.

1. Wavy lines when progressive scan is enabled on dvd player. :mad:
    2. Jumping logos on all modes except progressive. (especially noticable on sky sports news. :mad:
    3. Green trails. Especially noticeable on some dvds more than others. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon being a good example. :mad:

I can live with jumping logos as i have my tv set to progressive mode which is not affected, however the other two are beginning to drive me mad. :mad:

Chris out of interest do you notice an improvement in picture when u set your dvd player to progressive rather than interlace even though the tv is set to progressive too.

Thanks

4. simongwynne

simongwynne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm on my 3rd set now, and I'll probably stick with this one, it's nearly perfect. Nearly.

My first was pretty terrible, it had all of the above faults. The second was so nearly the one. No visible line down the middle (not even when watching football), and no discolouration down the sides, but it had absolutely awful convergence down the right had side, reds spilling out by nearly half a centimetre, such a shame. The current set, has a faint line down the middle, but it's pretty good, even during football it's only noticeable if you're looking out for it. The prog scan wavy lines aren't there, and the discolouration down the side is not apparent. But, it doesn't have perfect convergence, a few areas around the screen are a bit off, although I think a twiddle with the geometry may cure it.

I've currently got NTL which is pretty crappy, Telewest was better. DVD through prog scan is usually very nice, and sometimes amazing, depending on the DVD. Best of all is the Xbox, incredible.

5. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest i find little difference between progressive scan and interlaced through dvd.
    i also can't tell much difference between natural, active and 100hz settings.
    maybe i expected too much of pro scan but i have to be honest it doesn't blow me away.

out of interest,
    can anyone help me with the settings?
    what settings do u find results in the best picture.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I tried a couple of sets and the second was worse than the first... I returned them for a refund... It was a shame because the set had the potential to be fantastic...

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Mine had terrible 'dirty screen' problems and the virtical bar in the centre of the screen, prog scan was like looking at a strobe and I had the wavy lines. The second set was worse.

7 months of search for a TV and still searching

8. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43

select picture mode 3 and adjust the brightness etc to your likings from there. Pic mode 3 disables the SVM which means the picture becomes a lot clearer and more natural. if you have a sky digibox, try bringing up the search and scan banner and then toggling between pic mode 1 and 3, you will see a massive difference in quality!