1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba 36zp38. Noisy adverts.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by THOWD FELLA, Nov 3, 2003.

1. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a new toshiba 36zp38 and am delighted with it.
    My wife, with her sensitive hearing is not at all happy with the volume when the adverts come on and I can't find any automatic answer to restrict this volume. I thought this was standard these days, can anyone advise?

2. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean a mute button ????

3. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    there is two other button as well Vol UP-DOWN.
    Never heard of a tv that turns down adverts. How could a tv know when adverts are on?

But if u can figure it out and find one, i could do with one that makes a pot of Tea.

4. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the loewe website (i know iv been really blowing loewes horn latley:blush: ) loewe tvs can smooth out sound depending on the volume.

5. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha Ha, but the laugh is on you. Iv'e got a Sony portable that has in its menu a constant volume level and it states - to overcome the increase in volume from adverts etc.

6. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok. your little portable may have this feature but im sure the better sets, dont due to negative effects during normal playback.
    what happens during an action scene? the sound get louder. do you want the tv to turn that down as well.
    apart from some form of digital tagging by the broadcasters. and what Bfodder states(which just cut of the extremities from louder sections of sound)
    i cant see anyway to do this without running the risk of effecting other programs.

But come to think of it i have seen a coffee machine that has a portable 10inch Tv built in.

7. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have Loewe Planus now 5 years old with this feature and it works excellent and its no problem with action stuff.

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    The gain compression required to do this should be able to be switched off/bypassed/disabled - i.e. the viewer's choice.
    We have an IC for this purpose and our marketeers call it the "Midnight Mode" - so you don't wake the wife/kids/baby when watching an action movie in the wee small hours.

See http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/36-01/sigmaDSP/index.html

for an article with a section on this idea.

Chris Muriel, Manchester (applications engineer for Analog Devices)

9. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris for that information. Sounds like more manufacturers should be incorporating it but for the moment I shall just have to be satisfied with the remote controls.