Toshiba 36zp38/48

S

Shaft

Please help me. The more threads I read the more confused I become. I wanted to buy a new tv - originally 32" but the Toshiba 36" fints in the space. However the more I read the more I get confused - is a 36£crt too big for picture quality - will I be better sticking with a 32". I really like the 36zp38 or 48. How good are they really ?

there seems quite a lot of possible problems

1) Geometry
2) Screen Purity problems (blobs of different colours in various bits of the screen on light/white backgrounds)
3) "Dirty Screen" Effect when the camera does a slow pan over a light background, it looks like the screen is dirty.
4) Green trails when there is a scene involving a fast moving light source in a dark background.
5) The default setup for colour / brightness / contrast looks horrible.

Moo had problems with 2) on two seperate screens, and there seems a general problem if people return them, the new one has the same problem - I wonder if there are problem "batches".

I've looked for all these, and the only problems I have is 3) and 5) - although 5) is easily sorted.

I've not seens anybody complaining about 1) and 4) for a while, so I don't know if these have been improved.

There is a similar set of problems on the Panasonic PD30, with people trying out loads of sets until they get one they are happy with.

There is a new Panasonic TX36PL32, and as you say the new Tosh, the ZP 48 - whether they are any improved - I dunno.

If you look at any brand, Sony, Phillips, JVC, even Loewe, there are reports on here of Quality Control problems.

I think 36 inch is pushing the limit on CRTs, there seems to be less complaints with 32 inch, (probably partly because any defects are less visible on a smaller screen, and partly because it seems it is difficult to manufacture a 36 inch tube consistently)

Having said all that I am really pleased with my 36zp38 - and I've just watched all the LOTR again and I think the picture is stunning, and it is very good (& quite forgiving) on Sky, even the low bitrate channels. One of my friends who has a 42 inch Tosh RPTV came round to have a look and he was amazed - I've pointed him at these forums and lent him by DVE disk - so he'll be tweaking his picture now !

You can add one more potential problem to the ZP38 range.

Mine has now decided that it doesn't like my progressive input. Huge great wavy lines of interference have revealed themselves on Progressive mode. Non-existant on other modes. I see that this has been raised in previous threads by some people

Weirdly, if you bring up the menu (any menu - even the mute button) the flickering on the image behind stops but as soon as the menu disappears it starts again.

I'm gonna see about a refund on this model (only had this 2nd one a day) and look at getting a 32" version of the PD30 or the new ZP48.

So kind of answering your question, of the research I've done on these boards, it does seem that 32" owners are generally happier with the end result.

Pete, looks like you have been dead lucky with your set and for that I am eternally jealous ;)

Seriously, to reiterate Pete's comments, it seems that it is more often than not just pure luck if you get a set you are happy with. The manufacturers are in such a price war whilst trying to perfect all this crazy picture processing stuff that quality control is suffering.

The only TV that I have seen 100% positive comments on seems to be that £4500 Pioneer plasma... :censored:

I was thinking the whole reason toshiba re-releasing the same tv was because of the capacitor problem.Progressive problem sorted from out the box and a new silver finish to restore confidence in the set.

Many thanks for your advice.

I guess if i go ahead with a 36" i will need to buy from someone with good customer services, even if it costs a little more. Any suggestions ?

Appears i wasnt quite correct as the zp48 has a newer version of active
vision then the 38 as well as a few more screen improvements.

Might be worth a look.....

Carlton

By screen improvements do you mean new technology or improvements of the old problems.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom