1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP18Q - how much second hand?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Dave Knight, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Dave Knight

Dave Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All,

A quick query please, I was going to buy the Tosh 36ZP18Q from Empire or another, its £1299 new:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=TOS-36ZP18Q

A guy I know is selling his, 6 months old, mint condition and has none of the issues that have been reported with the TV - been browsing the site to see!

Any ideas on what kind of price this should go for?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd make sure he gives you a good reason as to why he's selling it.

If the TV can be had for £1299 brand new, I would suggest it's worth absolute maximum of £1000 second hand.

3. Dave Knight

Dave Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks juboy, the guy has a 8-foot+ projector now which is used for TV and DVD, so has no need for the TV now, thats a good enough reason for me - but I will obviously see it before-hand too.

Cheers again

Dave

4. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally didnt like the bright sides of the screen on this set. Have a look at it at night with the lights off, youll see brightness coming in from the right and left sides, so you'll find black isnt black all the way across the screen.

This is a feature with every 36zp18 because of the way the screen curves at the edges, its not a fault. Have a look and see what you think.

Not a very good description im afraid but you'll know what i mean when you see it. It was a nice set but i just couldnt put up with this 'feature' which is why i eventually let mine go.

Not trying to put you off, its just something to be aware of, and you're lucky in that you can check this out in detail before you buy it.

hth

5. Mr Rumpling

Mr Rumpling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say £800 would be a fairer second hand price :).

6. Dave Knight

Dave Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Mr Rumpling / Markster, will bear that in mind.

I've currently got a 2 year old 32" Philips TV, and as the Mrs won't let me get one bigger a 36" in the same space (give or take an inch or so) this hopefully should be great.

I've got a similar 'brightness' thing with not-so black blacks on my current Philips so interesting to see if the same prob is on the Tosh. Will report back : )

Cheers again,,

Dave

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    By the time you deduct the vat content from £1299 £1000 seems a bit exessive for a second hand set (imho). :)

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe, but I always work on the assumption that any item in perfect condition, 6 months (or less) old will have a seller who'd expect around 75% of their purchase price.

I did also say £1000 as an absolute maximum, I'd also be tempted to offer £800/£850 as an opening 'bid' (especially if the seller's just spent more on other kit and probably needs the money quickly) ;)