Toshiba 36ZP18P picture....

sarll

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, having read quite alot of threads on problems with the picture on the 36ZP18P, i was wondering what video connection people were using on their setups, and if there was a connection that appears to be less prone to the problems mentioned ie component video versus scart etc....????

Any thoughts..?

Component for DVD - Stunning
RGB Scart (1) for NTL Digital - Likewise
Normal Scart (2) for Video - good enough for VHS

Cheers
OG

Since most of the issues are 'features' of the physical tube, the conection does not make any difference.

I still say that even with the 'features' this set is stunning.:D

I agree with OG and Martin.

Component for DVD - Stunning
RGB Scart (1) for NTL Digital and Sky Digital - Likewise
Scart (2) for SVideo - SVHS Video Recorder - Very Good

Paul

I agree (except that I don't have a DVD!) I have an ITV digital box using a scart into the RGB Scart (1). Recently I spotted the setting on the ITV digital box for an RGB output as against the default composite output. The picture is phenomenal.

One question to plb. How do you share the SCART 1 socket for "NTL Digital and Sky Digital"?

One question to plb. How do you share the SCART 1 socket for "NTL Digital and Sky Digital"?

NTL > (into vcr scart) Sky (tv out scart) > TV (RGB scart)
NTL > VCR

Hi Doubledoom, I have my set up slightly different to enable me to retain RGB for SKY,NTL and SVIDEO for my VCR

NTL (tv out scart set to RGB) > (into SKy vcr scart) Sky (tv out scart set to RGB) > TV (RGB scart 1)
NTL > (vcr scart) > VCR
VCR (tv out scart set to SVIDEO) >SVIDEO Scart 2 on TV
Paul

Sorry Doubledoom,
Looking again at the set up you posted above it appears to be the same as my explanation put a lot simpler.
:eek: :eek:

not quite the same. A normal vcr doesn't need the connection to the tv. An s-video vcr does need that connection to the s-video scart to allow s-video to be carried.

Thanks for th info guys. The reason I ask is that I have on ITVdigital box for UK digital viewing and I may one day want to get a satellite dish to watch TV from Spain. How do you actually record programmes on your NTL box when that is delivered to the VCR via the Sky. Do you need to ensure that whenever you watch one box the other is always switched off?

I have just bought this set and was told by the shop that a scart in EX3 was far better than the component leads is this correct?

I have set it up in the following way as was recommended in the manual

ITV digtal box to EXT1 (RGB)
Nicam Video to EXT2 (i have also set up up to input the EXT1 signal into EXT2, a nice feature)
Sony DVD player to EXT3 (i have also attached a coaxial digital cable into DT2)

All seems ok but i am not convinced i have set it up ok

The reason for this is that there is a green light which appears under the TV when it is recieving a Stereo signal. This appears on standard BBC1, ITV etc and whilst playing DVDs. However it does not appear on EXT1 or EXT2, beacause of this and the fact the sound becomes quiter, I am asuming that frm these sources it is only outputting a mono signal. There is however sound coming out of the rear speakers.

Should i expect a stereo signal from EXT1 and EXT2, if so what am i doing something wrong, do i require further cables?

chhers bob

Doubledoom has answered your question regarding NICAM signal in your other thread but I'll just add that the shop is talking utter crap when they say that EXt 3 is better than using the Component Inputs on Ext 4. Ext 3 supports Composite (worst) or S-Video (better). RGB on Ext 1 will be infinitely better than these methods but Component input should give the the absolute best picture available. If your DVD has Component outs, use the Tosh Component ins.

I have just bought this set and was told by the shop that a scart in EX3 was far better than the component leads is this correct?

LOL. What a load of crap. Sounds like a Dixons sales staff member.

Groundy has answered that spot on.

Thanks for the advice

i am trying to attach these component cables

i have a sony dv300 player which came with a cable with an audio/video cord which had 3 plugs red white and yellow

i have attached these to the line out sockets in the DVD player to the Y audio LR sockets in the component video input sockets in the TV

as there are 2 sockets unused Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr i am guessing these are not component sockets

do i need a better DVD player then?

in which case arse

cheers bob

It sounds as if you have connected the component video output from the dvd to the composite video input and the audio L & R input on the tv.

The Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr are part of the component video connection. The audio needs to be carried from the digital optical output or digital co-ax output to the relevent socket on the back of the TV.

Originally posted by arsey
Thanks for the advice

i am trying to attach these component cables

i have a sony dv300 player which came with a cable with an audio/video cord which had 3 plugs red white and yellow

i have attached these to the line out sockets in the DVD player to the Y audio LR sockets in the component video input sockets in the TV

as there are 2 sockets unused Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr i am guessing these are not component sockets.

Your DVD player does not have component outputs. If you're otherwise happy with it, I wouldn't go upgrading for the sole purpose of utilising the Component Video connections.

Unfortunately though, the Sony DV 300 only seems to have one Scart socket (am I right?) If so, you also cannot use RGB loopthrough facility. RGB is the next best thing the Component so it's a toss-up betwwen using RGB for ITV digital or the DVD player. You may be able to connect the DVD player to the digibox and digibox to TV Ext 1 (RGB), instead of digibox to VCR. If the digibox allows RGB loopthrough then you can have RGB for the DVD player as well.

Other options would be to to buy a good quality multiple scart switching box and connect everything through there. Make do with S-Video for the DVD player in the meantime.

i now have a Toshiba SD210E multiregion DVD which came with an audio / video cable

am i right in thinking i need component video jacks in order to take advantage of the component inputs?

I went to Currys and comet this evening who didn't have a clue and both thought scart or svideo was the best means to transfer from dvd to TV

very frustrating as i know now this is not the case

do u know of anywhere i can get the leads i need????

Bob

Ok, you now how a Tosh 210E which does have Component Video Outputs so you should definately make use of them. The lead supplied with the DVD player is not what you're looking for (that is most likely a composite video lead). You need a 3 RCA to 3 RCA phono Component Video Cable. The likes of Dixons and Curry's will know absolutely nothing about this.

In actual fact, you can use any 3 phono leads as long as they are optimised for video. When I had a ZP18, I used an IXOS 171AV Component Video Cable which was off good quality and cost around £30 for the 2m version. You can off course get more expensive versions by other cable manufacturers but I won't get into that. I purchased my 171AV form here:

http://www.directdistributionsales.com/itm01957.htm

You can also get it here:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_RGB_RCA_cables_36.html

You might see the 171AV being advertised as an audio/video cable as it can be used for that purpose too but it is exactly what you need. You will also need a seperate audio cable from the DVD player to the TV (or Amp) as Component Video does not carry sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom