Toshiba 36ZP18 problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Andrewp369, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Toshiba 36zp18p from a mail order company approximately 2 months ago. Apart from the minor problems described on many threads about this TV, (such as the trailing on fast moving objects), I have been reasonably happy with the set. However, I soon noticed that there was a small patch in the bottom left hand corner which seemed lighter than the rest of the screen.This was particularly noticeable when viewing a light background such as a skating rink or a blue sky.The main part of the screen seemed 'dirty',particularly when compared to the bottom corner. I phoned the Toshiba technical helpline who suggested that the set is turned off regularly and this could cure the problem.However this did not happen and I recently requested an engineer from the mail order company. The engineer duly arrived last Saturday and soon came to the conclusion that the set required a new tube. I have been in touch with the mail order company today, and they want the set to be returned to them for repair, which could take anything up to 4 weeks. Obviously, I am reluctant to be without a TV for a month and am also worried about such a major repair on such a new (£1600) TV, which has had the fault since day one. I realise that I should have reported the fault immediately, but as I didn't I have some questions:-

Has anyone else had a similar fault?
    Have I got any rights to a new TV rather than a repair?
    Should I be worried about the repair itself, eg could a replacement tube cause other problems?
    I would be grateful for any advice.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds like you are referring to the "dirty" screen effect that has plagued the ZP18 models since launch. You should have come across similar descriptions when you searched the previous "problem" threads. I'm surprised the engineer recommeded a new tube which gets me thinking your problem may be different or considerably worse than what has been discussed before. I say this because the official word from Toshiba is that the dirty screen effect is a "feature", not a fault. Others have reported this effect improves over time but I didn't keep mine long enough to test that theory. DoubleDoom is in a better position to answer this one as I think he has had the set for quite a while now.

On your other points, I would be pushing for a replacement set with such a major problem after only 2 months. Saying that, a replacement tube should pose no problems, except that niggling feeling in you head offcourse.....

3. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two options open to you, go along with the mail order company for the repair.

Or the better option write to them claiming you feel the set to be of unmerchantable quality, as confirmed by the Toshiba engineer and then buy a new set when you get a refund. You do not have to except the repair. Check the mail order companies terms and conditions to see what they say. Make sure you state in the letter a time scale you wish to hear a reply from them by, say 10 days, that way you can drive the process of getting it sorted. They are then required by the distant trading act to supply a refund within 30 days of receiving your letter identifying the fault and out lining you want a refund.

Make sure you send ALL letters by registered post and stick to the facts, short and sharp.

I bought TV on date. I noticed problem and called shop, was told is was a feature. Was not convinced after living with it for a month so called an engineer who told me set was faulty. Now want money returned.

Playing it hard from the start normally get things sorted a lot quicker than if you are not happy with the options they are giving you.

Good luck.

4. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone who has experienced the 'dirty screen' clearing in time? If so, does it fade from the whole screen or does a 'lighter patch' gradually creep across the screen!?