1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP18 owners

Discussion in 'TVs' started by M0T, May 7, 2002.

1. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can anyone tell me the default settings for the service menu or the ones that people use to get the picture out of the tv.
    TIA

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which service menu are you after?

There is the default service menu which has different settings for the different zoom modes. ie giving you the settings for 4:3 will be no use for Super Live. There will be about 50 settings or variations if you include all the zoom modes.

There is also the designer menu which is more complex and has about 500 options.

3. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's just the standard service menu, the one where you can change the geometry etc

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can change the geometry in both the service and designer menus depending on what you want to change.

The service menu allows positioning and curving but doing it on one zoom mode will effect PAL and NTSC and is not specific to one zoom mode. Ie changing 4:3 will also make the same change to wide.

The designer menu allows positioning, curving etc but it allows independant settings for the zoom modes and ntsc & pal.

The D menu is also considerably more complicated than the S menu.

What exactly are you trying to put right and in what zoom mode?

5. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In the service menu someone has changed (son probably) the settings that govern the geometry, it is the same problem for all zooms so I would think it would be the normal service menu. Also can you tell me the settings to shift an NTSC image only as on my TV its displayed too far to the right.

6. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Also recently the television seems to switch off the AV1 channel when I am watching things on my digital STB, is this a tv problem or is it a box problem, it only happens when I change the channels on the box.

7. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to bump this back to the tope, but i really would appreciate it if someone could help or point me in the direction of a website or something which has the answers

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I dumped my Toshiba after Christmas after numerous problems, so I can't give you any specifics on the functions. However if you go to Google Groups and do a search for "Toshiba Service Menu" or "Toshiba Designer Menu" you will find plenty of info. As regards to the switching of channels, it seems your digibox is telling the tv it's switching on/off each time you change channels. Try another SCART cable or failing that turn off SCART control in the System Setup of the digibox. Hope this helps. ;)

9. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have searched on google but I can't find the settings for my television or even what they all do, I have tried to fix it myself resulting in a 'straight' edge on the left side of the screen and a bent edge on the right.

10. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help MOT. The problem you described with the bending was one of the reasons I got rid of my Tosh... it is impossible to get both sides straight as the menu does not allow you to do this. Surprised you couldn't find any info on Google Groups, here's an extract from a useful post:

> >Have been poking around in the service menu of my Toshiba 32W8DB in an
    > >attempt to improve picture geometry; while I understand some of the
    > >adjustments available others are a complete mystery.
    > >Also text pages are out of centre and one edge is bowed; are there any
    > >adjustments available for text pages?
    > >Here are the complete (I think) set of service settings for any enlightened
    > >soul who understands them; translations please. Thanx.
    >
    > I can translate a few...
    >
    > >HPOS, VPOS - Horizontal and vertical picture position.
    > >VLIN - Vertical Linearity
    > > CNR - Chroma Noise Reduction?
    >

Corners - bit like PARA but only on the extreme corners

> > TRAP - subcarrier filter trap in luminance response?
    >

Trapezium changes vertical slant / /

> >RCUT, GCUT, BCUT - Red, Green and Blue gun cut-offs - ie black level adjustment for each colour.
    > > GDRV, BDRV - Green and Blue Drive - ie white level adjustment. No RDRV?
    >
    > Steve

Nice try otherwise. Check out home-cinema archives for Toshiba and you
    will get lots of comments about the service menu.

Hope this helps. ;)

11. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats what I have noticed, I can get the left side almost straight but the right side is totaly skewed, do you think I could get them back and tell them I just turned it on one day and it was like it? :rolleyes:

12. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hopefully you noted down the original settings- just reset them all. As for giving the tele back... you can but try! Make sure it's less than 28 days old... don't accept a call from an engineer... they'll tell you it's "within spec" Reject the TV as not being of "Satisfactory Quality". The law is reallly wooly around this area so you can expect a fight on your hands. The best suggestion I can give you is request the dealer exchange the set for a different model (paying the difference as required). Hopefully he/she will be sympathetic. Failing that, if you paid by a CREDIT card and not DEBIT card you can contact your card issuer for help. btw. I don't think that getting another Tosh will solve your problems... if the geometry bothers you on this set, it is likely to do so on a replacement too. The very best of luck to you!

13. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats the problem, I wasn't the one who changed them, my son did and he didn't bother to note down the originals so I am pretty much screwed. However I have managed to get the picture much better than it was originally now however about an inch from the top the pictures appears to tilt backwards which I am trying to fix. It would be easier to get the default settings for
    Para
    Wid
    TnT (the tilt one anyway)
    VLIN
    VSC
    CNR
    HPOS
    Vpos
    Vpos2

and then try to sort out the residual problems from there, if anyone could check their settings for the above I would be most grateful. If its to much to do I will see if I can reset them all to their defaults and claim that the set was never properly adjusted at the factory and get an engineer to come out and do it, hopefully for free. It might be slightly dishonest but at least it will solve the picture problem.

I have however noticed that Tosh TV's seem to have really bad geometry problems. I have a 28" 4:3 TV which has had bad geometry since we got it.

14. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just an update: I have emailed Toshiba with the full story and I am hoping that it can be covered under their accidental damages policy, it is only just over a month old after all. However there is still a problem with the set that has been with it since I got it - The red and blue do not converge on each other exactly right, you can see this most in the TV menu and the Sky digital menu's. Also if anyone has those settings or could check them for me I would be very grateful, if not just to get a better picture until an engineer can fix it.

TIA

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the convergence is out the the top half only is out of position, it sounds more like the desinger menu has been played round with rather than the service menu.

16. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The convergance has always been out though and my son swears that he has never been in to that one. Luckily I got a response from Toshiba saying that they'll send an engineer around to fix the problem free of charge, which is a relief.

17. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news then. (btw i didnt give any settings as i have the 32" version which has different defaults).

18. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hopefully the engineer will come out before the weekend and fix it so my television will look good again.