1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZP18. If I had a DTS player could I output DTS sound via this TV??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jimbob, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gang

Q1) I was wondering. I know the 36ZP18 TV has dolby 5.1 built in, however if I bought a DVD player that had both a DD5.1 and DTS decoder built in could I use the TV as an amplifier and output in DTS mode?

Q2) is to do with the current 5.1 decoder in the TV. If im playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 disc or a 2.1 disc it still says in the digital sound menu 3/2 at the top and doesnt show anything to distinguish the fact one is Digital 5.1 and the other is 2.1. Is this normal?

When its not playing a DVD disc it shows a number of settings instead with pro-logic on etc.

Cheers all

Jimbob

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. There are no 6 channel inputs on the tv.

Not sure. I have never tried the tv audio

3. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    This display will not show any low frequency channels that may be available,ie. the .1 which is the subwoofer channel.What it does is show the digital sound channels available for front and rear speakers when connected to one of the digital audio inputs,the best being 3/2 which is front left,centre,front right and independant rears.Your instructions give you a complete list of these.
    I have personally not heard of any discs recorded in 2.1,what disc is it?This would mean that the channels present would be front left,front right and subwoofer.The display on your tv for this would be 2/0
    When you are not playing a DVD and not using one of the digital audio inputs your tv will display the pro logic settings which is normal.

4. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm

Loads of films are recorded in plain 2.1 though it may be called Dolby Surround and not 2.1. Rambo trilogy springs to mind for some reason.

When you say about Pro-Logic does this mean to get prologic from my VCR for example I need to connect up those HiFi leads or will it run straight through the scart lead?

Cheers for the help.

5. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Dolby Surround or Pro Logic has 4 seperate audio channels - front,centre,right and rear surround which is 1 channel sent to 2 rear speakers.This can be classed as 4.0,which i believe the Rambo discs are.The sound labelling on some DVD's leaves a lot to be desired,for instance i have seen discs labelled as simply Dolby Digital which might seem good but it was actually 1.0 which is plain mono sound.

Yes you will get Pro Logic from your VCR by connecting it to your tv via a scart lead,as long as the videotape was recorded in this format of course.