Toshiba 36zp18 - blotchy screen

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cunnma, May 1, 2002.

1. cunnma

cunnma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, not sure if any one has had the same prob but purchased set 6mths ago from JL. Since taking delivery we noted a 6"x3" blotch in the top left corner which results in discolouration - pink and green - and also have black vertical shading down both sides.

JL's contractor viewed the tv and manually degaussed but without much success - after contacting Toshiba the contractor reverted stating it's a trait of the 36" model.........oh please!

Anybody else experienced this prob and any advice as to what I should do next?

Thanks, Martin

2. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would demand this set be EXCHANGED.....:mad:

Yes they do suffer with vertical bars, but Not pink & green in the top left corner.

I had my 36zp18 changed 3 times before I got a good one.
    Now IM really happy with it........;)

This set can really have a stunning picture when set up right...... :eek:

Martin,you could try the Toshiba contact numbers on my 2 Toshiba threads here at the AV Forums.

Good Luck

Keith..............

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But Keith.........are you REALLY happy with the set? :D

4. cunnma

cunnma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith, just got off the dog with JL who have advised that as a result of them being the ones left holding a faulty TV not Toshiba they need a service engineer called out at least 3 times before they would even consider exchanging the set.

You've stated you've had 3 of the things. Were these replaced thru contacting Toshiba direct or throught the retailer you purchased from.

And boy do I agree with the fact you pay for a f*c* you policy but from John Lewis (being an Essex boy I can't be a snob !) of all places..........

5. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe me have I had problems with vertical bars :eek:
    QED WILL NOT do anything at all about this problem as the engineer that a contracted to them have told them "it is a normal feature on this type of set"
    I have blown my lid several times, since when are two black vertical lines going through a £2k set a "NORMAL FEATURE "
    I am considering employing an independant engineer to comply a report on this & then take it further maybe even Watchdog if there are others in my predicament.

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's good to see the ZP18 problems just keep on coming. I wonder if Toshiba are still monitoring these forums

7. baileych

baileych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sorry, did I miss something? Why is this good to see?

Charles.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Never heard of irony?

9. baileych

baileych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, there were no smilies. I wasn't sure how to read it. I'm considering (among others) a Toshiba TV.

Charles.

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No problem, I should have included a smilie ;). Sometimes it's hard to convey meaning on a forum.

Anyway, I've been through all the ZP18 problems myself as I had the misfortune of purchasing one before Christmas. I've posted many times on the other ZP18 threads but in the end, I managed to get rid of he TV (it wasn't easy), and replaced it with a Loewe. Some people don't seem to have the problems, or just don't notice them but IMO, it's not worth the risk. I would never recommend this TV to anyone, especially those who are easily dissatisfied. :)

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to the problems posted.

The black bars are a known trait of this set although they appear to have varying degrees of brightness depending on the set.

The blotchyness may not be a problem though. It is common for new sets to suffer more with this in the early days and for it to go away after some useage. When you turn the tv off and back on again, check to see if the blotchyness has gone. Also check you have no items, such as speakers or phones, nearby which can also cause this.

If they blotchyness does not go away after degauzing, and there is nothing nearby to cause it, then it is a fault.

12. cunnma

cunnma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D JL have agreed to exchange my set (only after going in there in person - when perhaps the grade one helped:mad:)

They did offer to replace the set for a different manufacturers but have decided to stick with Toshiba although will be more vigilant for probs that I've read about within the forum when the replacement arrives.

Been a week and still waiting to hear when the exchange/installation will be done.:rolleyes:

Thanks to all for your advice.

Martin

13. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Cunnma

I had the same problem with JL with a Panasonic set.

Engineer came out once. Took set away for a week and gave it back saying there was nothing wrong. Got fed up with them so went to the store in person. They gave me the 'engineer needs to look three times before they will refund/exchange'. "What" said I, "You mean to say that your engineers are so poor that they need to look at something 3 times before they make a decision!" (slightly stronger wording used in person:devil: ) Suffice to say, I left with a refund.

Replaced the Panny with a Tosh 36ZP (2nd set)and love it.

I had some colour staining when the set was new and I was sure that this had improved over time or I had just got used to it. Vertical bars are very slight and don't spoil my viewing. I ended up getting mine fro QED and they were great with the swap out.

14. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick test, if you have sky digital, is to go to music choice. That full red screen will show up discolouration really easily.

If there is discolouration, turn the tv off and then back on again and see if it is still there. If not, all is well, if it is, then you either have a fault or something to close to the set causing it.