1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZD26P vs 36ZD26B - what's the difference ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rhodders, May 20, 2003.

1. rhodders

rhodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been shopping around on the 'net for a Toshiba 36ZD26, having seen plenty of favourable reviews and also liking what I saw "in the flesh" at my local Comet store. I have noticed that two versions, the 36ZD26P and 36ZD26B both appear to be available. Do you know if there is any material difference between the two ?

The "P" version is the one that seems to be mentioned in all the reviews but my problem is that the best deal I have found so far is for the "B" version at Empire Direct and I want to be sure that, to all intents and purposes, I would be ordering the same beast.

I rang the Toshiba UK helpline and was told that the "P" is for "Pan European" and the "B" is for "Britain" and that the only difference between the two is in the capabilities of the TV tuner. This sounds plausible and if it is the case, I can go ahead and order a "B" version with some confidence. However, the Toshiba guy didn't fill me with confidence that he fully knew what he was talking about and to be 100% sure before committing to the order, I'm seeking a second opinion.

Some of the important features I'm interested in are component video inputs and progressive scan capabilities. I understand that the "P" version as reviewed has these, but I want to be sure that the "B" version does as well.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Get (B) version if you can, there seems to be far less complaints with this version as the (P) is the one most online places are flogging and gets most complaints.

3. Howesy

Howesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the letter suffix of toshiba tv's is for the tuner compatibility. However, my understanding is that P is for Britain and B is European.

Either way, there should be no other difference. I asked the same question when buying my 36ZP38... Mine is a B model... I've noticed that the tuner scans a lot further up the frequency range than any other TV I've had.. which would allow for use in other countries.

I know all tosh's are progressive scan for NTSC... There seems to be a lot of debate if they do PAL progressive or not.. Toshiba say they don't.

Having said that, DVD performance over component is very good anyway.