1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36ZD26P CRT and HD TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by davidhunter, Oct 21, 2005.

1. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Might be an odd question but can the 36ZD26P support high deinition TV. The reason I am asking is that on the Sky web site it says that if the TV supports 720 lines resolution and 1080i or 720p it will be ok for HD TV.

Now with this TV you have component input which the new sky HD boxes will have along with the HDMI output surely you can connect via component and an audio lead and the TV will be HD ?

Does anyone know if the TV supports all the parameters as I cannot get a response from Toshiba ?

Davy

2. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It doesn't seem to support HDTV resolutions...at least the manual doesn't mention this unlike the manuals of the CRTs that DO boast with the support of HDTV resolutions like JVC HV36P38...See here for 36ZD26P MANUAL

3. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know Kalos but the manual would have been written some time before they thought of actually pushing HD TV. Its a pity the manual does not give more accurate specs of the TV such as the overall native resolution. Mind you Sky will probably charge an arm and a leg to accept HD anyway but its just for interest.

Do you know does / is freeview going to go high defininition ?

Cheers again

David

4. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm pretty sure they would update the model designation if they added HDTV support to it...sorry mate...although I'm sure the future HD boxes will be able to downconvert to SD which will look stunning on your CRT anyway so you are safe before the TV dies down and you are forced to get a HD set...:)

I live in an opposite part of Europe so I don't know about freeview going HDTV in UK but I imagine that's the way it should happen in the next couple of years, because they are still sorting out frequencies and stream bandwidths around Europe for even basic standard-resolution freeview (DVB-T) which should be concluded in 2006...I beleive they are even considering MPEG 4 instead of MPEG 2 for HDTV since it looks much better in low bitrates and thus they can fit more channels into one frequency in 1080i than they ever could with MPEG 2 , so this also contributes to the delay...

5. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers for that Kalos all the info much appreciated.

Davy