1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36Z48P - How to connect Component?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lfgj, May 13, 2005.

1. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks - I'm getting a Toshiba 36Z48P in the next few days and want to connect up my DVD player via the component connections. As I'm a noobie to this - can someone clarify what exactly I need?

I think it will be a 3xRCA to 3xRCA component lead and a seperate twin phono lead for the sound - is that right?

Any recommendations for decent quality leads?

...and before anyone says it...I have been searching all afternoon and can't find a clear answer in the forums!

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    There are cable that vary from £7 up to £99 for component leads here :

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/t..._group/se=Video Cables/op=eq.html?id=JnRqK98K

The Profigold £20 ones look good value. If you intened to spend anywhere near £50 then you should check out these cables which many on the forum recommend :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104551

PS I use Thor BNC – RCA component cables on your TV and the picture is stunning in PAL PS mode. HTHs.

Or this :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212308

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yep, the Profigold ones will probably do the trick for you unless you want to splash out on expensive cables. I've got a few Profigold cables and they seem pretty good for their cost. I'd go for a named brand (Profigold, ixos, qed, etc) rather than a no-name cheapy cable, as you're TV is capable of a really nice picture given a decent cable.

For the sound, your TV should (I think) have a digital optical and/or coaxial input, so you should use a digital optical or coax cable between the player and the TV in order to take advantage of the TV's Dolby Digital system. (That's assuming you'll be listening through the TV speakers, not a seperate amp). If you just use stereo RCA cables, you'll only get pro-logic sound out of the TV.

Good luck,

Balders.

4. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - getting there...

CJROSS - you mention BNC - I thought these were different to RCA connectors?
    (& yes I was eyeing up those cables from Mark Grant!)

Balders - deffo want 5.1 out of it - the DVD has a coax output. Am I right in assuming the tv does the necessary decoding work for 5.1 rather than the DVD player?

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    GET THE CABLES FROM MARK GRANT,FANTASTIC. :) :thumbsup: :smashin:

6. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very tempted - would 1metre length be enough? - the DVD player will be sat on the top shelf of the cabinet.

7. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    A 1m cable will be more than long enough (even for the bottom shelf). The TV has both optical and co-axial digital inputs, so you have the choice of which lead to buy.

I'd go for the component and co-ax cables from Mark Grant, I've not got any myself yet (already had my system cables before these were available) but from the comments made by people who have bought them, I'll definitely be usgin them next time I need new cables.

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I should not have posted about BNC connections, My DVD-V player connections are BNC. Yours are RCA I was simply stating that I use Thor BNC-RCA, and thatbyou should consider Thor RCA-RCA, if they get anywhere close in cost to MGs. Well from what Ive read about his cables I would go for MGs.

Yep, you simply select the Dolby Digital sound setting on the remote.