1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36" IDTV - too cheap?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by yevhen, Dec 28, 2003.

1. yevhen

yevhen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found a Toshiba 36ZT29 IDTV for £999 and 36ZD26P for £799 at "Hyperfi" - WV&WSTV jan 2004.

I'm looking to buy a widescreen TV 32" or 36" and have read many other posts about 36" TV with interest - however I would like to ask for opinions about digital (freeview) IDTV's, and cheap offers.

I currently use an old "ondigital" box (philips DTX 6370) which is rubbish. Picture quality is worse than terrestrial (I've got good signal strength) and when you change channels, the delay before a picture appears can be between 5 and 20 seconds. Do the Integrated TV get any better pictures than stand alone boxes, and can you upgrade the software if things change - cannot do this on the philips box. Or should I go for separates, there’s £200 difference on above sets - I only want Nicam sound, as I have a separate AV amp.

These prices are "a lot" cheaper than anywhere else (i.e. search via deal time - 36ZT29 goes from £1,300 to £1,800+). I have bought Hi-Fi separates from Hyperfi before - but they seemed to European imports i.e. they had two pin plugs connected into a British three pin plug (no problems to me). Would this have any effect on picture quality etc? Would they be "grey imports" - or is it just a good deal? Has anybody bought either of these TV's?

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks

Yevhen

2. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Amazing how you, as I, have coped with the ondigital box. Incidentally I acquired a more recent itvdigital branded one as well and the picture changing is faster.

Buy a Nokia receiver, half price at currys, they are great.

As for the tube, it is old now, currys online are doing the non-idtv non-dd version of the tosh for 999. People have found ex-display cheaper than that.

3. DaveJones

DaveJones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you check their website http://www.hyperfi.co.uk , you'll find that a lot of their sets have ED (ex-display) or GR(graded) by them (check the last PDF format page), which probably explains the price. I'm ringing them later today about a Tosh.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For many manufacturers this is normal as it is cheaper than fitting new leads. Marantz do this on almost all their gear so is not an indicator of grey imports.
    It is unlikely an import IDTV would work as their is no european digital standard, one reason that IDTV roll out is slower than it could be.
    the very good deals at hyperfi are often very limited stock or loss leaders so dont pin all your hopes on the price you see in magazines!