1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 36" CRT or Panasonic 37" Plasma?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chavvychase, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been impressed by the reviews of the 36" Toshiba 36z48P and was intending to get one this weekend. However, I have been to a few shops today and have seen the Panny 37" plasma, which also looks very good 9about twice the price I know).

One tihng which is putting me off the Tosh is that CRT is old technology - most of the big stores seem to be selling off their big CRTs and moving to Plasma or LCD

On the other hand, is the Panny picture as good - particularly for moving images, as in occer games etc?.

I went to Richer Sounds and came away confuses as to what i would actually need to get it up and running. So the Panel is 999. Do I need some kinds of scart box? I have Sky, so do I need a tuner? Can I just plug any speakers intothe panny and expect them to work?

Again, none of these are issues if i stick to my original idea to get a 36" CRT. But on the other hand there's the weight and size issue and also the nagging feeling that I'm buying yesterday's technology.

Any advice would be gratefull recieved.

Chavvy

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, as everyone on the forum knows I always recommend the ZP48 range of tellys. CRTs are not yesterdays technology - it is still current technology. Plasma and LCD etc will have their day (but in my own humble opinion their time has yet to come despite the inroads they have made in the worldwide tv market). Others I know will disagree - but there's nothing wrong in that, it generates a lively debate ! All these technologies have their 'pros and cons' and in the end it will come down to what you personally prefer when you see these technologies side by side. For me (and I only bought my 32ZP48 a few months ago) I am happy to stick with crt technology until the end of the decade and then buy something else - assuming something else is equal or better and that hi definition is a practical reality. I read a lot of professional mags concentrating on the world of broadcast tv - I think crt technology has plenty of life left in it. Regards, yt.

3. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Red for your reply, which is much appreciated. I'll give the 36z48p another look

Chavvy

4. Moksha

Moksha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say CRT is old technology....yes it is ....but over the years it has been perfected to a high degree. The best way to choose is to go and look at all that is available and decide for yourself. Go to as many shops as you can and compare technologies, the sets are all set up differently but after seeing lots of set ups a trend starts to emerge. If picture quality is what you are after the Tosh 36zp48 takes a lot of beating....take particular notice of the blacks they are rendered superbly. Lcd screens are way behind...plasma is ok but for me the Tosh was still the best. The only drawback with CRT is the size and weight of the thing.....

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I've got a 4 month old 36ZP48 for sale on the classified forum with a 5yr warranty for £650 if you can collect it!

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Andy. A big problem would be the collection. Although I don't live all that far away (in Sheffield) the thing is very big and heavy (76 kg I believe) and there's no way I could lug it into the back of my Focus and out again!

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Just hire a van for a day, you'll still make a hell of a saving!

Cheers,
    Andy.