Toshiba 350e Subtitle problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by treaddie, Mar 19, 2006.

1. treaddie

treaddie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got hold of a Toshiba SD-350E, the pictures are brilliant but I have a problem where on certain DVD's I can't turn off the subtitles.
    Has anyone come across this problem ?????

2. Tonywrj

Tonywrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also got this DVD player and it almost always starts with subtitles switched on, goodness knows why! Normally you can get rid of them by using the 'subtitle' button on the remote and cycling through the options until you get to 'OFF'. However, I have at least 1 DVD, possibly Titanic', where the remote button is disabled and you have to stop the DVD and use the DVD menu system to switch off subtitles.

Someone in the Tosh software department must be either derranged or hard of hearing to think that this is a good idea. However, as you say, the picture is good for such a cheap player, but I do suffer from freezing for a few seconds now and again. Have you noticed this?

Tony

3. ee61re

ee61re
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On mine, I had the same problem initially, but having turned them off in the machine setup menu, I've not seen a subtitle since.

Now all I have to do is work out how to get it to stay in 576p mode all the time, instead of reverting back to 1080i if its put into standby and back on again!?

4. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Weird - mine always stays on the mode I switch it to (720 in my case), even
    after switching off. Subtitles have stayed off since I chose "off" in the menu.
    I believe if you can't switch off/on subtitles while playing a disc this is the "fault" of the authoring of the disc (yes I am talking about shop brought discs) - I believe Anchor bay discs give you the problem of having to switch on subtitles from the dvd menu. I have also had the slight freezing problem on watching discs.
    Hope the above is of some help
    Regards

5. Rizz

Rizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine froze so much in every film I sent it back.

6. Diode

Diode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine freezes too. Tried Sammy HD850 but that had significant picture blocking. Saving up for a 1920......