1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 340e or Pioneer DV-470 which one is best?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Raze, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction!

Looking for a DVD player (that can also play div-x but don't care about the other audio features such as dvd audio etc).

Seen the toshiba for £69 and the Pio for around £89
    From what Ive read both use a similar chipset (?) but my main priority is the one that has best DVD playback quality via component outputs which will go to a Toshiba 36"PF

What one should I go for? My main priority is (DVD) movie playback quality.
    From what I have read the Toshiba seems to be getting ace reviews - and that price seems good too!

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Both players offer very good picture quality at that particular price point and there is little to choose between them.

As the Toshiba is the cheaper of the players and offers all the features you want this is probably the player to go for. However the Pioneer does have VR compatibily if you ever decide to buy a -rw DVD recorder. The Toshiba doesn't have support for DVD's recorder in VR mode. This may not be a particuar problem for you.

I would suggest you audition both players before you buy and you will ensure you get the player. However I dn't think you can go wrong with either.

3. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The pioneer with the updated firmware offers ogg support, divx subtitles in 3 file formats and plays more types of DVD media. If your not interested in these features the Tosh is cheaper so a better buy. I got the Pioneer :)

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The picture quality is going to be near enough identical as they both share the same mediatek 1389 chipset which is a SOC chip and therefore does almost all functionality in the one chip. It even controls the dvd drive, decodes the audio, de-interlaces etc.

However my preference would be the Pioneer. Pioneer seem more likely to update their firmware and as it stands seems to have extra versatility over the Toshiba. You can even get a 575 firmware for the 470 that enables DVD Audio and SACD playback in 2 channel mode. What Hifi stated the Pioneer 575 had better picture quality than the Toshiba 340 and the 575 and 470 are almost electrically identical with only the 5.1 outputs being the only hardware difference. I'm not sure I believe What Hifi myself but either the Toshiba and Pioneer have equal picture quality or the Pioneer has a slightly better picture so the Pioneer seems the logical choice. Don't expect a particularly well made player with either of them though. Apart from the styling and brand logo theres not much japanese about these players they are chinese designed and built.

5. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for replying!

I have a pioneer dvd burner in the PC but in all honesty probably wouldn't use 'burnt' discs as they never see to be as good quality as the original (I can be really anal about quality sometimes lol!).

However the point about Pio firmware updates is definately taken on board!
    I might just wait until the Pio comes down in price a bit first then, or if poss find a retailer that will allow me to buy both and take the 'weakest' one back (lol)
    Thanks again for replying!

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    If you are planning on watching Divx/XviD files then having a player that can support a wide range of cdr/dvdr media is essential and from what I have read the Pioneer is the best when it comes to that, I have a DV470 and it has yet to refuse any of the media I have tried and the quality is second to none.

7. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess its all gonna boil down to affordability as Ive just spent 800 quid I shouldnt have! (on the PF).

I'd love the 575 so might get the SD 240 as a stop gap cos I think theyre only about 45 quid at present.

Or if any of you guys wanna get rid of an unused/old one cheaply let me know! :)-) )

8. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I got a 470 for £90 inc P&P from RGB direct, cheapest i could find multiregion.