1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 34. set up problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Captain Kak, May 10, 2005.

1. Captain Kak

Captain Kak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I apologise if i am being thick here, but i have just got a toshiba 34 dvd recorder. i have done exactly what the manual says to connect up my sky digibox using scarts, but when i set it to av2, all i get is sound with no picture. anyone help.
    cheers

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You need to set your Sky output and AV2 input to be the same video format, either both RGB or Sky to be PAL and AV2 to be Video. RGB is better, so do that if you can and if you do, you'll have to use the TV output of your Sky box, not the video output. If you do set both to RGB, also make sure you set your AV1 output on the Tosh to RGB and make sure that your scart lead from the DVD recorder is connected to the RGB input on your TV.

If there's still no picture try another scart lead as the one you have may not be fully wired.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    The box is expecting an RGB input but getting a composite one. Check:

1) You have connected the DVD recorder to the TV output of the Sky box. The VCR socket does not support RGB (only composite) so if you connect it to that all you'll get is a black screen.

2) Check you are using a fully wired scart cable. Not all cables are fully wired and such ones will not necessarily carry the RGB signal.

3) Ensure you have not pressed the TV button on your Sky handset. This toggles composite output on the TV scart - press 'Sky' to restore.

4) Ensure you do not have a VCR or other composite device connected to the Sky box and ON as that will force composite.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    tobyjuggler beat me to it.

5. Captain Kak

Captain Kak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys for your quick replys. Much appreciated.

6. Captain Kak

Captain Kak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have managed to get it to play through the recorder :thumbsup: , but only setting it to video. I would much rather it went through RGB. If I got an expensive scart, would that do the trick?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    That means the source is outputting composite. Have you checked and re-checked the four things I pointed out - because I can assure you in 99.9% of cases it is one of these that is the cause.

8. Captain Kak

Captain Kak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have done the things that you said. The only thing is that I am using a run of the mill cheapy scart.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    That could well be the cause then. Get yourself a decent, fully wired Scart cable. Composite or RGB will look better with a decent Scart. For a machine of the Toshiba's callibre I recommend something like the QED AV21. But if you just want to verify that this is the cause before you invest in decent interconnects then any fully wired cable, even a cheapie, will give you a picture - your local Comet will be able to assit.