1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZT29B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jasonlgriffin, Jul 19, 2002.

1. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just downloaded the manual for this new set from the Tosh technical site.

I like the idea of having a single box for everything: Dobly surround (+ satellite speakers); digital tuner; TV.

I have a few questions on it:

1) The dimensions are given as 118cmW x 130cmH x 56cmD. I assume the Height includes the stand then, and if so does this mean you must use the stand provided? This beast is even bigger than the 32ZD26P - I thought they would use the same box but apparently not! This TV is huge and surely the size rules it out completely!!!

2) Are all IDTVs set up so that essentially the analogue is controlled separately to the digital - with the Tosh you need to switch between the two in order to control the correct one but they have different buttons on the remote (i.e. different teletext buttons for analogue and digital as an example).

3) Is there an internal subwoofer or not (I know you can connect an external one but is there an internal one as well)?

4) Are the front extension speakers supplied (accessories list at end of manual implies not, but text in manual implies they are)?

5) How is the +£400 premium justified over the 32ZD26P? I know it is an IDTV and has surround + speakers but even so, £400!!

2. avensys

avensys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the 36ZT29B myself. Here's what I've worked out from various sources.

1. The stand is supplied with the TV but is a separate unit (apparently it is the lack of stands causing the delay in shipping). The 36ZD uses the same stand and the 32" probably also does. The stand isn't an essential part of the TV.

3. The subwoofer is not included but as you say there is an output to drive one.

4. Front and rear speakers are supplied with the TV.

5. There is £300 difference between the 36ZT and 36ZD at Robert Whyte's. I think that is reasonable for integrated digital tuner, dolby digital, and speakers.

BTW Toshiba's own 5yr extended warranty is £150 for the set.

3. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    avensys

Have you had the dimensions verified? If the manual is correct (which I suspect it is) this TV has got to be the biggest 32" in the world ever (and is bigger than most if not all 36" as well).

I like the idea of everything integrated as you only need 1 remote then, but the size rules this beast out.

4. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to demo the 32ZD26 in Powerhouse yesterday and while I was in there I mentioned the ZT29 and how I was disappointed at it being so much bigger. The guy looked at me puzzled and got out his advance information - the dimensions on the flyers the shops have are identical to those for the ZD26!!

So Tosh have got one of these wrong: their advance info (probably a few months old) says same as ZD26 but their manual (fairly recent and downloaded off their web site) says its bigger.

I would tend to go with the manual, but just shows that the shops will probably be telling you one thing and when you get it delivered it may be the other! Typical.

5. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the spec of the 32ZT29B on the Tosh web site and the web page says the dimensions are 902W x 595H x 548D.

So thats 2:1 to the smaller size!!

Again I would imagine the manual is more up to date.

6. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it seems that the manual is incorrect after all - got this reply from Toshiba support today (good news!):

"...Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you
    requested as follows:

Please find below the dimensions for the 32ZT29B:

Height (without stand) - 595mm
    Height (with stand) - 837mm
    Width - 902mm
    Depth - 548mm
    Weight - 60.4kg

Kind regards,
    Kate White
    Toshiba Consumer Products Division Helpdesk"

7. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears from measurements made by Oblivion on his 32ZD26P that the height with the stand is actually 105cm (stand alone is 46cm) so not even getting an answer from Tosh Helpdesk is reliable as they said 837mm!!

Also received the Tosh brochure yesterday and the dimensions quoted for the 32ZT29B TV alone are those I posted last time (i.e. 902mm width - so I'm hoping that is at least accurate!), however the height with the stand was again quoted as 837mm, so it looks like the helpdesk get their info from the brochure!

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Very true but the stand looks sweet on the 36" and on the 32".. Best to have it built and have a look at it first before deciding on swapping it.

The subwoofer is built into the TV itself, like the Toshiba ZP18. Its not earth shattering as you should expect but it does add a lot of extension to the bass.

Reasonable if you don't have sky digital/NTL alright... But if you do then its best to save a bit of cash and use it on a decent AV receiver IMO.