1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZT29B - A few problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by raphski, Sep 15, 2004.

1. raphski

raphski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post. Hello. Blah blah.

Found things here very helpful when deciding what tv to buy, so thought I;d ask these things here.

So I got one of these Toshiba widescreen tvs yesterday, and its very good, apart from a few problems, that I'm hoping you can help with. Its a 100hz, prog scan compatable, and has just about every input you could ask for.

First thing I did once it was all set up was to try the xbox on it. Via the rgb scart. And, though the picture was very nice, there was what I can only describe as Buzzing bees. I think I've heard it refered to by that name before, but its basically where you get like moving dots in the image. It's slightly broken down. It generally appears in areas of high contrast, the line between black and white, and so is most noticeable with on screen text. The same thing happened when I changed the output of the console from 60 to 50hz, though slightly less.

The same problem occurs with my Dvd player. Again, from rgb scart to rgb scart. It's really noticeable on the dvd menus.

So I just wondered if this was a common problem and what I might do to sort it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like you're referring to a phenomenon known as dot crawl. You should not see this in either RGB or S-Video, it usually only occurs in composite video output. Therefore check the following:

1. That you are using the RGB SCART (EXT 1). On the 32ZT29 there is only one RGB socket.
    2. That the XBOX and DVD player are set up for RGB output.
    3. The lead you are using is a FULLY WIRED SCART, capable of RGB and S-Video output. Some of the cheap SCART leads do not wire for RGB and/or S-Video output.

With the DVD player, if it has component video out use it - that gives the best picture for DVD.

3. raphski

raphski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, thanks. I realised that the thing I meant was Marching Ants, not bees or whatever i said before. Dot Crawl. Yes.

Anyway, the dvd player definitely is outputting rgb, as is the xbox. They always have. The lead is also 100% The Right Lead To Use. No idea if it supports s-vid. Switching the scart input on the tv to be s-vid, suggests it isn't an s-vid lead as well.

Anway, the other point you made, it having only one RGB scart. That's the interesting bit. I had not realised this before. The manual certainly never explained what sockets could do what.

The dvd player has an s-vid out on it. I'm going to try using that, but I would guess its because both the xbox and dvd player were plugged into ext 2 when I tested them. I shall switch it to ext 1. This is annoying.

Unfortunately, the dvd player doesn't have component out.

Would getting a rgb scart > composite plugs make a difference do you think? It'd definitely be going in at rgb, and I could keep the cable plugged into ext 1 then as well, I guess.

Or I may just buy a new dvd player that has component outs on it. Bit drastic though.

Anyway, thanks.

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tosh 36ZT29's RGB socket, is in EXT 1. Don't know if you know, but you have to change EXT 2 and 3 to S-VIDEO on the menu screen.

Mine suffers from no DOT CRAWL at all.

5. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate.
    One of the ways to help get rid of that dot crawl....

The Strata models all have 3 preset picture modes which you can use to find the right balance depending on what you are watching. When one of these picture modes is changed a new picture mode is made called M.

Firstly flick through the preset modes until you get to picture mode 3. Now this mode as default is very dull and soft but if you bring the contrast level up to about 50ish and the brightness up to about 50ish, increase the shapness level and disable all the picture tweaks (DNR, black stetch) then things should start to look and move better with less trails.

The last thing to do is ALWAYS have the tv set to "progress" mode in the menu as this will give the very least artifacting.

My settings:

CONTRAST - 55
    BRIGHTNESS - 50
    COLOUR - 48
    TINT - 0
    SHARPNESS - +15 (some like it less but on my set it seems just right)
    SCANMODE - PROGRESS
    DNR - OFF
    BLACK STRETCH - OFF

The matter of geometry on these sets is a living hell to try and get right but give us a shout if ya need any help :thumbsup: