1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP48P: Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mossmanfly, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Looking at getting a new TV for my bedroom as my 28" 4:3 screen is about 7 years old now and had a few faults, plus with all my DVDs being widescreen some of the movies are looking rather small now.

Looking at Toshiba 32ZP48P as I have seen it for £633 with the stand etc. What I would like to know is if its any good as the main use will be watching Sky through the Scart, playing XBox, PS2 etc, and watching DVDs.

The Prologic sound has attracted me as when watching TV on my current set I have it set so stereo sound comes out of the back as well, as the rear speakers are closer to my bed so I get a better sound. Can this TV have the same effect(Pseudo surround I think its called)?

One question is that it has an optical audio terminal. From that it seems as though I could plug my 5.1 Decoder into the TV and get sound from my surround sound speakers, is this correct?

Looking at the specs Here it seems to have loads of features and at a good price. Has anyone got any comments on it at all? Anyone recommend anything else, I have looked at some of the Sony ones so there an option.

Many thanks

2. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The Tosh is most certainly amoungst the best few TV's out there and for sound and features it must rate very highly. *Arguably* the Panasonic TX32PD50 gives a better picture which is sharper, greater clarity and better flesh tones. I saw both side by side today against a Loewe Aconda... just coudn't believe my luck.

The Tosh appeared a wee bit dull in comparison which seemed to be down to a lack of adequate contrast adjustment. The 36" model seemed particular prone. The 32" fairing much better once display settings were adjusted.

Against the Panasonic was noticably inferior sound (the Tosh is really good, plenty of tight, rich bass with sweet clearly detailed treble).
    Picture wise the largerly superior flesh tones took on a rather reder appearance when a close up shot of a persons head was on screen.

The Dolby pro logic circuit is capable of converting the Nicam stereo signal into 5.1 surround. Using the supplied speakers, the two TV front integrated speakers for centre channel (combining for mono) and the TV Sub for bass. The supplied speakers tho' are a rather tacky cheap plastic affair which come without any stands.

As you say the DA sockets may well be an i/p for a DVD digital out to provide true 5.1 dolby digital sound but I can't confirm.

Few other TV's to look at, but a few that caught my eye for pic quality were....

A) Samsung W32Z308P .... really pin sharp picture
    B) Panasonic quintrix sr
    C) Philips 32W958C

3. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Many thanks. Will have a look at the other TVs you mentioned.

I was wondering whether its worth hanging on for HDTV compatible sets? As I read one review online and said the downside of the Tosh is no HDTV, so are CRT screens going to be HDTV in the near future? Or is it going to be just Plasmas and LCDs?

I know Sky are doing HDTV but this will require a new box wont it? At the moment we have multi room so I have our old Digi Box which we got when Digital was launched.

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The Samsung is HDTV ready and also has a smaller rear footprint... i.e is one of the newer slimmer CRT's.

Personally I would not bother with HDTV. Sky is the only company starting a channel next year. By the time HDTV really gets a hold which will be many years yet CRT will be dead and LCD and or Plasma will have taken a hold. LCD's right now are already pretty good just a tad expensive for a decent sized set. In a few years time they will almost be pretty much outstanding.

HDTV from Sky will require a new box and only TV's that are capable of 1080 lines are really going to benefit.

5. johnny70

johnny70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi m8

I just set mine up this weekend, I can't rate this set highly enough, it knocks the sock of my old loewe, using mine conected to my sky digibox and panny hdd recorder, there is a big thread on here with set up's, pro and cons i suggest you read that, its about 25 pages but well worth it.

PS. make sure you have got some decent cables, i just spent £80 on 2 of them but the difference is BIG :thumbsup:

Cheers

JOHNNY

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I thoroughly recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48. Regards, yt.

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    HTML:
    I just set mine up this weekend, I can't rate this set highly enough, it knocks the sock of my old loewe
    I quite agree the Aconda I was viewing was the latest HD TV and didn't look a patch on the Tosh. I have to say the Tosh is a superb TV BUT it suffers from a rather annoying brown hue to almost everything which is putting me off. Even with Picture adjusted to *cool* mode and Tint level to -50.

8. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    HTML:
    Anyone recommend anything else,

Saw a Philips Pixel plus 2 Cineo today which as far as I'm concerned knocked the spots off the Toshiba... has a multitude of adjustements for sound and picture of which the Tosh just does not have.

When I asked regarding i/p's of the like for Progressive scan the guy in Curry's was of no help and totally wrong, saying that it was DVD that had to be capable not the telly! OK half right but clearly of no use for further questions... he couldn't even tell me the price!

The Panasonic I mentioned without a doubt has an edge on pic quality over the Tosh... confirmed today by a further google. However the Tosh had perhaps a better black level (very slight) which gave the pic a more silky polished aspect.

What's more the Panny can do picture in picture and picture and picture.

9. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks for everyones comments.

What is the Philips Pixel plus 2 Cineo? As I searched for "Philips Pixel Plus 2" and loads of TVs came up. Is it a type of technology that is used or a model number?

What was the Panasonic quintrix sr you mentioned per-Sony-fied? As is that also a type of technology or model? Would this be one Panasonic TX32PM12?

Sorry about all the questions. Just doing my research at the moment, will spend hours and hours reading up about it, and in a few weeks will probably be an expert.

One question, what does everyone think of LCD or Plasma TVs? Do they offer anything better than CRT?

10. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The Philips Cineo is the name given to the TV. Just done some research and it retails as far as I could see for a little less than a grand..... also no progressive or component i/p :( Otherwise known by a number thus....32PW9509

The Quintrix SR is a type of tube that Panny's use. The TX-32PD50 uses the latest SR2 tube. A typical Tv with a SR tube in would be TX-32DTX40

LCD over CRT without a doubt offers unmatched clarity and sharpness and a lack of on screen shadows from within room objects. Plenty of downsides like contrast ratio and pixelation (which looking at the current crop is not as bad as it sounds). Perhaps the worst at the moment is incorrect resolution.

I've just found the Panny for the same price as the Tosh :D :thumbsup: :) so I may go for that ;) The Philips is too expensive and does not have the required i/p's ....... someit as to gif ;)

Not to up on Plasma's I'm afraid..... just not cheap enough to get fully involved.

11. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Been having a read of the big 26 page thread for the 36" model and there seems to be some issues.

One thing is how is the geometry affecting these TVs, is it a big problem like 1 in 5 sets or is it something that maybe 1 in 100 or 1000? If you do get one with geometry that you find unacceptable whats the chances of a replacement?

From what I understand the built in 5.1 means I could hook up my DVD player through optical and have 5.1 without a external decoder? If so I can get rid of my current 5.1 decoder and speaker set.

For DVD players would having component rather than RGB scart be better? And I assume Progressive scan is a must? I have alot of NTSC DVDs so would want a TV that copes with NTSC as well as PAL, any issues with the Toshiba 32ZP48P?

My current DVD player doesnt have Progressive Scan or Component as its a cheap make DVD player but is multi region, plays everything and does DivX and Xvid. Might look into getting a new DVD player with Progressive Scan and Component or get a DVD recorder and keep the 2 hooked up.

Any places I should consider to buy, or any good deals at the moment. Seen them for about £620 and £35 for Del, anything better out there at the moment.

Many thanks

12. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Geometry was poor on both sets I've had but can easily be fixed. Loads of threads.
    Biggest problem is dirty screen, green tinge on dark scenes and various other problems. No idea what percentage of sets it affects but it appears to be more than I would consider acceptable having read the forums.

But then again Toshiba may have sold a huge amount of these sets and be happy with the return rate.

PS component will give the best pictures and yes you can junk your current sound set up unless you're a DTS fan that is.

Get a good one and the picture quality is unrivalled (imo).

13. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Having looked at more than 1/2 a dozen sets I would say the only serious issue it has is colour purity... consistant to all. More noticeable on the 36, a brown hue which seems uncorrectable.

I've seen 1 with geometry problems so on a whole this seems to be in the minor rather than major.

Yep it has a inbuilt 5.1 decoder so ya can ditch ya dvd decoder and speakers if ya want. However I must reiterate that the speakers supplied with, are no great shakes build wise so I don't expect great sound eminating.

Component and progressive is the best possible which rids dvd's of jagged edges. However NTSC progressive is best which I do not know if the Tosh does. May only do Pal progressive (just further conversion required).

Ok I was keeping this quiet... I've seen it for £575 :D Unfortunately delivery is a whooping £60 :eek: Plus side tho' you can pick up if you wish if possible. go here.. www.mkatv.com

14. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Having looked at quite a few sets in the last couple of weeks I have to disagree although it certainly does stand out head and shoulders above a huge number. The black level and lack of processing artifacts puts it up on a pedestal.* The resultant image is very silky and polished which is very alluring.

On the downside the focus/sharpness is not the best which is easily improved upon by a Philips Pixel plus 2 set, the latest Samsung slim CRT or Panasonic's Acuity.

Depth is also bettered by a Loewe Aconda/Mimo and any Philips set.

Finally the biggest annoyance (for me) that retched colour hue, brown, which so far seems impossible to rid completely which makes all colours inpure and reducing their ultimate shine and clarity. I also noticed this on another Tosh model today so maybe it's a Tosh thing!

*Whoops! the Acuity beat it hands down in an eastenders outside scene last night. :rolleyes:

15. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks for all the replies. Just taking everything in and researching more and more. Going into Town tommorow to have a look at a few and maybe pick up some magazines etc. Live in a smallish Town so only small chains of Dixons, Currys etc.

Looked on the site you gave per-Sony-fied and it looks a good price, even with Del its cheaper than most places. Think there in Great Yarmouth which is quite a drive for me, so might as well get Delivery.

Looking at my current 4:3 TV I can see it has geometry issues as the left hand side of the screen is higher than the right, by 5mm I would say. Nothing noticable really and I have kind of seen it but its only when its in letter box mode when playing a DVD. I dont know whether a 16:9 screen makes it more apparent at all.

I do like the look of the Toshiba at the moment and the size is great for a 32" as it hasnt got speakers on the side. I think that if I were to go for one which had speakers on the side I would need to drop down to a 28". The place it will go is a defined space as to one side its a massive ceiling tall desk and selves which house all my DVDs, Games and Consoles. And the other side is my door. Got about 900mm I would say to play with in width and about 600mm in depth. Having built in 5.1 would be usefull as my current decoder is just 5.1 and not DTS so I can use the built in function of the TV if need be.

16. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Been looking at the Samsung WS32Z308P as that looks very nice, but cant find it on Samsungs website at all. Is there anywhere that has detailed specs etc? Maybe even a online manual? As the Toshiba website is excellent as I have glanced through the online manual and know more about the TV and what it can do.

17. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering a 32ZP48 but I may have changed my mind now. That Samsung Slim CRT looks great and the price is lower. Also, it'll fit in the car better when travelling the length of the country with Uni stuff :D

EDIT: not so sure now, just found out about the problems people have been having and the same problems appear to be less severe / widespread on the 32zp48 (geometry)

18. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all

I have been looking at getting a 32" TV for about two weeks now and have been following various threads on these forums. Couldn't believe what i saw yesterday....

As i live in the same town i dropped them a mail and they came back saying thay would deliver FOC to my home and that they have them in stock! :thumbsup:

Unless anyone has a good reason why i shouldn't get this tv at this price then i think i am as good as sold.

19. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I would seriously check it out first before making a rash decision just because the price is right. AFAIK the colour purity is not right. A rather to obvious brown hue blighters the crt picture you may be able to live with it but for almost soley this reason I decided against it.

BTW thanks for the tenner :rotfl: :D ;)

20. cluster

cluster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had the 36zp48p for a few weeks now and have not found any major problems with is at all. Certainly for Telewest Cable the picture is very good and have not seen any of the brown hue that people talk about. Maybe I was lucky and got a set that doesn't suffer from this too much?

I have noticed a little in the way of 'dirty screen' syndrome which is getting better with time and is only really noticeable when watching a a very bright seen on TV or DVD source e.g Hoth in Empire. Apart from that the TV is superb. I am just looking to upgrade my DVD player as the TV has component input and my old Pioneer 636 doesn't have this (and is getting tired anyway). Just wondered if anyone had found a good DVD to go with this set?

I have read the monster head to head done a while back but was still a little unsure of where to go as I want a upscaling by component feature as well as all the SACD and DVDA possibilities of a player such as the Samsung HD950 (which is available from Richer for £129.

Any thought greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup:

21. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Maybe you just don't notice it. Not so obvious when there is no side by side comparison but I did notice that the 36" was more clearly visible for this artefact. This phenomenon is not soley related to Toshiba's ZP46/48 range either. Looking at Toshiba's lower range TV's also suffer from the same purity problem. I doub't your TV is any better than the load I've seen however it is possible with a dedicated quality source feed that it is less prone to this effect (although I would expect a competing Tv to perform better too).

I guess it's a matter of taste and how you like to see colours on a TV screen. Many are just happy to get em home plug em in and watch em as setup, some like really rich colours which bare no resemblence to normal life and some like myself strife for the most natural life like non over emphasized colours and anything that does not conform can be really annoying. Still playing around with the settings on my Panny after 3/4 days that I've had it.

Oh well guess there's just no pleasing some (fussy fart) :rolleyes: :)

22. Barnsleybill

Barnsleybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My nine month old boy likes to push on the TV whenever he see's a Tweeney and I think a LCD set would be unsuitable. CAn anyone tell me whether the Toshiba 32ZP48P is still available?