1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP48 & External Amp - Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sirmoonmin, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sirmoonmin

sirmoonmin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm a bit uncertain about how to set up my Toshiba 32ZP48 with an external amp, and was hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. :)

Basically, I'm looking to buy the Pioneer VSX-D814 Receiver (DD, DTS, etc) but don't want to have to buy any more speakers. Instead I'm hoping to be able to play the surround sound from the D814 through the speakers of the TV. This isn't a problem with the rear and front L/R speakers (I can connect them straight to the amp), but the sub and center speakers are built into the telly itself.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to carry the front and sub signals to the telly via an optical lead from the amp?

Or, can the internal Dolby Digital processing of the Tosh be bypassed and an optical lead used to carry DTS (or better) sound to the telly to play through its speakers directly (i.e. all speakers connected to the telly as opposed to the amp)?

Those that can help will receive my undying and unconditional... um... gratitude... forever! :p

Thank you!!

2. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    First of all a question. Is there a reason why you want to use the speakers supplied with the TV as opposed to separate ones connected to your AV receiver?

Whilst the speakers supplied with the 32ZP48 are pretty good, they are quite basic and have a low maximum wattage output (15 I believe). Therefore I would not want to wire them directly into my AV Receiver, as they won't either do it justice, and could result in serious damage to both your speakers and/or receiver.
    You will be aware that the TV has both Optical and coaxial audio input. I don't know the specs of your Amp, but assuming it can export a 5.1 output, then the receiver on the TV will receive, decode and play through all the speakers, internal and external. However do you realise that, by going down this route, you will need to have the TV 'switched on' whenever you want to use your amp, which is both a waste of electricity, and also adding to the useage hours.

I don't believe you can either by-pass the DD receiver or by-pass the electronics to wire directly, (not without invalidating the warrenty anyway). I also don't believe there is anyway you could get DTS to work, although the benefits of DTS v. Dolby are debatable.

They way I looked at it was to use the TV only for showing pictures. I don't have any external speakers connected, and use the internal speakers when watching 'normal' programmes. They are very good, and quite adequate.

However whenever sound is also important, this is delivered through my AV receiver, to a set of Mordaunt Short Premiere speakers, which for their size send out trully awesome output (particularly the base). I now its additional cost, and you have the somewhat added hastle of finding space for a further centre speaker and sub-woofer, but I'm sure everyone else here will also agree, it's well worth it.

3. sirmoonmin

sirmoonmin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... things aren't going to be as easy I thought then...

Thanks for the info tho... :thumbsup:

I've started looking at speakers now... but I think my budget is too limited for the Mordaunt's...

Any other recommendations?

4. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't have any expertise on other speakers. When I was looking to get mine I was considering others, but then discovered a complete set of Mordaunt Short's for £250 in my local Hi-fi dealers, so brought them.

Suggest you start a new thread on the Speakers forum, I'm sure the regulars there will help out.

5. sirmoonmin

sirmoonmin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted.

Thank's so much for your help. :smashin:

Wish me luck... :p