1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP48 and Pioneer DV575 - no rear surround sound

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gd925, Apr 13, 2005.

1. gd925

gd925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recently got a Toshiba 32ZP48 and Pioneer DV-575A DVD player. Picture and sound are great - but then, after 19 years with an 18" mono TV almost anything would be an improvement!

The only problem is that when set to play Dolby Digital 5.1 the Toshiba's rear speakers don't have any sound output. The rear speakers work OK in all other modes with a rear signal.

The DVD is connected via component cables for the video and optical for the sound. The TV's rear speakers are set ON (EXT at the TV connection) and to Surround Out in the menu. When the Dolby Surround button on the TV remote is pressed (while set to the DVD input) the on-screen display lists 3/2 ch, indicating that it's a 5.1 signal.

The Pioneer DVD settings are:
    Initial Settings: "Digital Out" = ON, "Dolby Digital Out" = Dolby Digital.
    If I set "Dolby Digital Out" to "Dolby Digital > PCM" then there is sound from the rear speakers but the PCM is noted in the manual as a 2 channel downmixed signal and not 5.1.

I have tried with several DVD disks, all of which are listed as DD 5.1, but all with the same result.

Has anyone got any ideas as it is really frustrating, and annoying at missing out on the proper surround sound.

Another quick connection related question. Toshiba is still set to component input (EXT4). While learning my way round, in the Pioneer DVD initial settings menu I set "AV Connector" to RGB. This resulted in no signal (blue screen) and I had to reconnect via an S-video cable to reset the "AV Connector" back to S-video. If the "AV Connector" setting refers to the SCART connection as the manual suggests then why does it affect the signal on my component output?

Many thanks.

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I can't help you with the audio problem - it does sound as though you've done everything correctly (however, you haven't actually stated that you've made the Ext4 to optical audio input association ?). With reference to the video problem, it's very common on a lot of DVD players that you have to go into a setup menu and 'tell' the DVD player to output component video from the av output (NOT RGB) - this also sets the 3 phono connectors (usually) on the rear of the unit to output component video. I hope this may be of some help? regards, yt.

3. gd925

gd925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I did associate the optical input with EXT4. It works OK if set to the PCM mode, just not with the dolby 5.1 setting.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, just checked my tv settings. Not sure if it helps but perhaps double check:
    In the features menu:
    Surround Set up:
    Rear speakers=YES
    Surround Out= SP Out.

Having just checked a DVD (I don't tend to watch DVDs much !) when I started to play the DVD it specifically asked me to choose what type of sound I wanted and I had to specifically choose English 5.1 - perhaps this has to be selected on each and every DVD that one plays? Other than that I am stumped, sorry. Have you spoken to Toshiba's after sales support ? Regards, yt

5. gd925

gd925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba rear speakers are set as you mentioned. I had a check on the DVDs I have and the English language setting is only 5.1.
    Thanks for your help. I'll have a try at contacting Toshiba and Pioneer.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, do please let us know how you get on. Regards, yt.