Toshiba 32ZP38B Fault - Help!

dicy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening All

I have just either done a very wise or daft thing. I have been looking for this Tosh for a while now and took a punt on bidding for one on Ebay. I won the item for £76 and its 3 years old.

Only problem is the seller stated that there was an intermittent fault with this TV as described below:

The TV has an intermittent fault causing loss of horizontal sync - it can be fine for days, then flicker for a few hours, then be fine again. When working OK the picture quality is spectacular - this was a very highly regarded TV, reflected in the £1200 new price. I've been told the repair cost would unlikely to exceed £50-80 as this is a common fault on these TV's and a simple repair. I now have a plasma and just want it out the way, hence the start price.

Can any of you guys advise on what this problem is likely to be and if it's a known fault. I'm happy to spend £100 or so getting the set up to scratch. If anybodt could rec. a repairer in the Lewes/Brighton area that would be great.

Also any opinions in general on this model would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Have a look at this thread and follow the link through to get some great advice - ring Toshiba UK first on 0115 976 6958 and they should send the replacement part FREE to a local TV repairer. Good luck!

hi, cant really help with your problem but the 32zp is an excellent tv so hope you get it sorted,cheaply!!
i looked for months for a 32zp48 on ebay but decided i couldnt risk it so i bought from toshiba direct instead 9 months ago which was £600 so i can see why £76 is worth the chance.problem now is im starting to get the 50" plasma bug,bigtime.....................

good luck :thumbsup:

Abbeygoo - Have you got that link mate. Do you know what the fault could be?

Jeffod - let me know if you ever are thinking of selling your Tosh.

Cheers Guys

Rich

Abbeygoo - Have you got that link mate. Do you know what the fault could be?

Jeffod - let me know if you ever are thinking of selling your Tosh.

Cheers Guys

Rich

Oops sorry, forgot to add the link - here, go to this thread

hi
hello from down the road!!
firstly i would ring tosh and see about the part then look in the yellow pages and ring around to find the cheapest price to fit the part for you it should not take more than an hour to fit
all the best
tec

dicy,
funnily enough i am,well sort of,due to the plasma fetish ive got going on at the mo !!!!;) ;)
problem is finding one worth replacing 32zp and also finding room for the 'big mutha' as my tosh fits nicely in my lounge.............

dicy,
dont know what to do yet!!!! what you got in mind mate >????thing is im reluctant to put the tosh in the back room as the kids will probably trash it!!!they are NOT allowed to even touch it:D

where about do you live ???

have you got yours fixed yet ??????

Jeffod

Mine is at the repair mans as we speak.

Just though that it would be nice peace of mind if i purchased one that was recently obtained from Tosh.

As i said, there is no rush, i'd just be interested (at the right price;) ) if you decided to sell.

I'm in Lewes, East Sussex.

Cheers

Rich

PS - Are there any tips you could share on setting these sets up?

i tend to keep it in picture-2 which is bright/cont/colour at 50%,super live screen.
the sound set on dolby pro-logic and subwoofer on 78,volume 35!:D
still haven't used the surround speakers yet,sounds good enough without them to be honest.
also,what i get for the tosh depends on wether i get a flat screen or not,if your interested make me an offer!

i tend to keep it in picture-2 which is bright/cont/colour at 50%,super live screen.
the sound set on dolby pro-logic and subwoofer on 78,volume 35!:D
still haven't used the surround speakers yet,sounds good enough without them to be honest.
also,what i get for the tosh depends on wether i get a flat screen or not,if your interested make me an offer!

i would give them a trial. the difference with the surround speakers is quite noticeable and increases your viewing pleasure immensley!!

Did this set come with speakers as standard. Because i didn't get any?

depends on what model you get as i think the zp46 is nicam and not dolby.others models differ also with regards nicam or dolby.

mine is the 32zp48 which is dolby and came with 4 speakers as standard. in fact, as a previous poster has just said, i might set up the speakers tonight and see what happens..............

Did this set come with speakers as standard. Because i didn't get any?

depends on what model you get as i think the zp46 is nicam and not dolby.others models differ also with regards nicam or dolby.

mine is the 32zp48 which is dolby and came with 4 speakers as standard. in fact, as a previous poster has just said, i might set up the speakers tonight and see what happens..............

The model quoted does come with 4 surround speakers. Not as good as a dedicated home cinema set up but still decent enough performance.

The 4 external speakers enable you to hear DD 5.1 sound and they take a bit of the workload off the speaker in the TV and let it concentrate on being a centre speaker only (and a little subwoofer).

Jeffod - get those speakers out and feel the difference .... :smashin:

abbeygoo,
hooked the speakers up tonight , s**t !!!!!!!!!! i didnt realise they were that good, gives a much deeper tone and rumble :D :D -wish id done it 10 months ago now.shame as i seen a plasma that is too good to resist:D

dicy, up to you mate if your still interested ?? if you want to pm me we can chat ok.

abbeygoo,
hooked the speakers up tonight , s**t !!!!!!!!!! i didnt realise they were that good, gives a much deeper tone and rumble :D :D -wish id done it 10 months ago now.shame as i seen a plasma that is too good to resist:D

dicy, up to you mate if your still interested ?? if you want to pm me we can chat ok.

Not a problem :smashin:

Hi, new here, found this thread in a google search to see if i could find out why i have probs with my 32ZP38B, unfortunatly, it aint the problem stated in this thread!

Firstly, I get a really annoying high pitch noise sometimes, most notably when watching live football for some reason (which in my case is quite often!) and i have no idea why but it drives me crazy! :mad: Really gives you a headache by half time! Notice it every now and again during other programmes, but always usually very briefly, ie until the scene switches on the programme. But its really bad watching live football, on and off all match long sometimes.

Also, every so often, when trying to switch it on from standby using the remote, it doesnt trun on and a green clock symbol flashes up next to the power light, which means getting up and switching it on via the power button, again, quite annoying! Im guessing its something to do with the sleep timer, being a green clock symbol, but again, i have no idea why its happening.

Any help from anyone who has any ideas on what either problem is would be greatly appreciated!

:lease: HELP!!

Thanks in advance

Only seen this once before but it is a known problem.

Very easy, quick cure but does involve taking the back off which is something I'd never recommend an 'amateur'(!) should do. :)

Expect to pay for an hour's labour max as it's a 2 minute job once the back's off, 20 minutes all in. :devil:

Only seen this once before but it is a known problem.

Very easy, quick cure but does involve taking the back off which is something I'd never recommend an 'amateur'(!) should do. :)

Expect to pay for an hour's labour max as it's a 2 minute job once the back's off, 20 minutes all in. :devil:

Hi, thanks for your reply, is that for the high pitch noise prob or the standby prob? If its for both that would be very handy! My Dad has had the backs off many TVs before so he could manage this im sure, does it require any new parts at all or just an adjustment?

If its simple to explain, id really appriciate it if you could otherwise i will look into getting it repaired by an engineer.

Thanks for you help :thumbsup:

The high pitched noise. :)

Not sure about the other, could be the timer....

The spring that tensions the aquadag earthing in the bottom right hand corner of the set (looking from the back), oscillates when you get a picture with high brightness levels Apply a blob of EHT sealant to to the spring.

It's suspected this is caused by a static discharge.

Please be careful. :lesson::lesson::lesson:

The high pitched noise. :)

Not sure about the other, could be the timer....

The spring that tensions the aquadag earthing in the bottom right hand corner of the set (looking from the back), oscillates when you get a picture with high brightness levels Apply a blob of EHT sealant to to the spring.

It's suspected this is caused by a static discharge.

Please be careful. :lesson::lesson::lesson:

Thanks so much, really appriciate your help. I wont dare touch it myself though, i will get either my Dad to have a go at it or if hes not confident doing this i will get an engineer to do it for me. At least i now know the cause and cure!

:arty:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom