1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP38

Discussion in 'TVs' started by lazaroonie, Jul 26, 2004.

1. lazaroonie

lazaroonie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have had the above 32inch set for about 6 months now, but something is really beginning to bug me. I though initially it was to do with the scart cable I was using, but I replaced this, and the problem still exists - so here goes.

The picture on this television is awesome, when viewed through "terrestrial" television, colours are good, brightness, contrast etc, all perfect. Fast moving images are displayed properly, and it really is everything I would expect from a £1000 telly.
    the problem happens when I flick over to sky, and the picture goes to hell. Its difficult to describe how exactly it is bad, but it is all of the things below :

- too bright
    - slightly "blocky"
    - live images (especially football) dont look right - looks like you are playing a
    playstation game.

I have the standard pace satellite decoder for sky, and I am just wondering if I really need to have the setup somewhat different for SKY TV vs Terrestial. For information I have the decoder set to RGB, and it goes into the first RGB socket on the TV

Any ideas

thanks

Patrick
    --

2. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds strange

when you push the button on the Tosh remote halfway down on the right hand side with the arrow in the circle does it say 'EXT 1'

You've checked it's on RGB on the Sky digibox - I have the Sky box on medium contrast - is it set to 16:9? When you toggle between RGB and PAL on the digibox setup can you tell the difference ?

I tend to have the picture on these settings to get the most detail out of the picture

First go to picture mode 3 on the Tosh (this disables SVM) by pressing the button on the remote which has two arrows pointing into a box which has a diagonal line and the box is half filled along the diagonal.

Try these settings (I find these reveal the most detail):

Contrast 45
    Brightness 54
    Colour 46
    Tint -6
    Sharpness -20
    Scan Natural
    DNR Off
    Black Strech Off
    Colour Normal

Any better ?

I see much fewer digital artefacts on my Tosh than on my JVC, and would say the Sky picture is superior to my analogue picture the vast majority of the time. However, some of the digital broadcast football on Euro 2004 was dire (especially on ITV), but that was the broadcast quality - it's not usually that bad, although I think football is a good test.

One last thing, I think the quality of the Sky digiboxes varies - there's a lot of discussion here

Possible relevant discussion here

I can see some of the digital artefacts on Sky, particularly on the lower bitrate channels, but it sounds like your problem is something more fundamental.

3. lazaroonie

lazaroonie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply and advice. I will try this tonight an d report back tomorrow.

4. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just had another thought - on my digibox there are 2 ouput scart sockets but only one is capable of outputting RGB - (if this is the case you would see no difference when toggling between RGB and PAL on the Sky digibox setup menu - try using the other scart socket on the digibox)