1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP18Q - remote control features not working

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 3iron, Jan 1, 2005.

1. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had a Toshiba 32ZP18Q for 18 months - very happy with it - but several buttons on the remote control have suddenly stopped working. These include the Teletext, MENU, Screen size and EXIT (ie the Texttext plus the row of 4 buttons between the number pad and the arrows)

All others are OK. The left slider button is set at TV OK.

Anyone any ideas what could be up or suggest checks I could make?

Ta.

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi 3iron,

Can I deduce from your post that (forgetting what the button functions actually are) that the buttons that do not work are all in a horizontal (or vertical) line ? If that's the case then due to modern printed circuit board design (PCB) its possible that a component inside the remote control has become faulty. Usually remote control PCBs are designed such that a number of closely positioned buttons are 'scanned' in a regular pattern - unless one individual button goes faulty it's very possible that a whole 'area' of buttons will stop functioning. It could be due to the a faulty component, the control being dropped or perhaps something 'conductive or acidic' being spilt into the control. If it is 'terminal' then a new one would not be hugely expensive. However, as the remote control is not very old - and provided you are happy that it has not been abused - then I think if you adopt the right 'telephone manner' you could persuade Toshiba to look at yours for free or send you a replacement. regards, yt.

3. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply. :)

>Can I deduce from your post that (forgetting what the button functions actually are) that the buttons that do not work are all in a horizontal (or vertical) line ?

This is my remote - http://www.anyremote.co.uk/ishop/903/shopscr202.html

Teletext button is middle on on top row (one on either side work OK) and other buttons not working are the full row of four above the rounded directional buttons. Is this what you mean? - Why would teletext button be the only one not working on top row?

>It could be due to the a faulty component, the control being dropped or perhaps something 'conductive or acidic' being spilt into the control.

Not aware of it being dropped (carpeted floor) - nothing spilt on it either.

Thanks again.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, crikey that looks like the same remote control as on my 32ZP48 !

Functionality of the individual buttons and how they are scanned by the circuitry inside the remote control is a compromise between the physical layout of the buttons (ie, how does it look & feel to the user) cost, and the physical size of what is to be squeezed into the remote control ! A big topic - but chip manufacturers make a standard set of 'chips' that every manufacturer incorporates inside their remote. To make the design easier (and manufacturing costs lower) the circuit design will inevitabley be a design that will scan a number of buttons in sequence and pass the information back to a microprocessor. What you are describing is pretty much a very standard fault. If one button 'dies' then its usually a button that is used a lot and the conductive rubber material under the button has usually been worn away by constant use- a quick fix is to 'paint' some special conductive paint on the affected area. If a whole section of buttons stop working then the chances are very high they are all scanned as part of the same sequence and the fault is either failure of an electronic component or the circuit board has broken (remote dropped) or the copper tracks on the pcb have been attacked by something corrosive (think coca cola or corrosive battery terminals). The economics of the design will have dictated which buttons on your remote are scanned in sequence - there is absolutley no logic in which buttons are scanned in any sequence (to the little microprocessor inside the remote its 'easy peasy' to work out what's been pressed and what to do as a consequence). I hope that simple explanation wasn't too awkward to follow. The price your 'pointing' to seems quite good to me - its a quality remote control you've got - but I still think it's worth contacting Toshiba if the remote is only 18months old. However, if you definitely decide to scrap your existing remote control and buy another one it would be worth taking your one apart and having a look inside to see if it's anything obvious. Regards, yt.

5. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried a spare 'one-in-all' remote I had in the house and teletext worked fine, so your suggestion that it was a remote control problem looks spot on. :)

I rang Toshiba and explained the problem and they said they would send out a replacement remote. Kudos to Toshiba :)

Thanks.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Personally speaking I am always impressed by Toshiba, I'm very pleased to read that they are doing the 'decent thing'. Regards, yt.

7. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to end the story, the replacement came today and works perfectly. :thumbsup:

red16v, your diagnosis was spot on - thanks again! :)

3iron